Annoying bumps

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have these bumps on my legs (keratitis pilaris), which are essentially dry skin. I scrub them like crazy, and pile on the moisturizer, but that doesn't really work. The only thing that has gotten rid of them is lotion with alpha-hydroxy, or a similar acid, but it's pretty expensive. Anyone know a natural remedy for this problem? Is there a natural gentle acid that I could find in the grocery store?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Try putting a cup or so of vinegar in your bath water and soak. Vinegar balances the PH in your skin and takes all the dry and itch away. I use it often in the winter. If you rinse your hair in it at the same time it will make it softer as well

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what morel said sounds good cause I don't have any idea..LOL..interesting though!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Have you tried natural oils/butters like almond oil or 100% shea butter? A lot of times commercial lotions make things worse by clogging pores and chapping skin. I used to get these dry scaly patches on the backs of my hands, but they went away with a diet change (low carb).

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Aside from the oils, you can try vitamin b2 (riboflavin) and cod liver oil, it also comes in capsules so that you don't have to gag it down.
Both of those made a huge difference in our house.
My son also had chronic chapped lips, nothing helped and once we tried the b2 that someone recommended it was gone in a week.
When it reoccured I put him back on it and we had great results again.
I keep the whole family on nordic naturals cod liver oil. The omega fatty acids are really good for you whole system and brain function.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great ideas! I'll start with the vinegar, since that's what I have already. I love solutions that don't cost me any money! I might have to get some of the b2 capsules because my DH's having a lot of trouble with SEVERELY dry feet. Sounds like that might help him, too. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The most helpful part of the cod liver oil is that it is LOADED with vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to nasty dry skin.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Its worth it to get the better brand too. I know there are a couple of companies that sell fish oil and it can be a little pricy but it does last a long time and the quality is really worth a few extra dollars.
A nutritionist I know recommends the nordic naturals and then there is a really good one that is made from salmon and its carried by vitalchoiceseafood
I included the link in case anyone is interested in finding out about the omega fatty acids and an interesting newsletter regarding the use of omega 3s in kids.

http://www.vitalchoice.com/category/omega-3-salmon-oil

http://newsletter.vitalchoice.com/index000331632.cfm

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FC! Love your new avatar! Barnie's my man! :D

Have you tried the sugar scrub recipe I gave the other day(forget which thread)? I have the same condition, as does one of my boys. I was born this way.

I have found great success with the sugar scrubs, especially in the winter. The only other thing I found that really makes it go away? Sun! In the winter, tanning artificially helps me and I try to go once every two weeks when I don't forget to do so. In the absence of that, the sugar scrubs that I make keep my skin silky smooth all winter. I hate those little bumps!!! :p