Another ghost story..

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Some of you know about the spooky incidents I had when working on the shed in my backyard.. Well, I had another weird experience yesterday, up the road from my house this time.

There is a building on the corner of my street where is now a Chinese take away and some apartments above. Early yesterday evening I went for a walk with DS and he wanted to ask the owners of the T/A if their son can go to the park with him, as it was still quite light out. So I stopped there and waited outside while he went in to talk with them. I felt a firm pressure against my right shoulder as I waited, sort-of like when you lean against something narrow, or if someone presses you hard with their fingers? I swung around to see if I absent-mindedly got to close to a road sign or something… There was nothing and no-one near me.

This afternoon I went to visit a friend here in the village who grew up here and told her about it. She burst out laughing and said "That's why you never see people hanging out on that corner!" Apparently I'm far from the only one to have had that experience.

Some years ago the building burnt out and someone got killed in the blaze. She didn't know the details, but said the building was left derelict for some time before it got restored and turned into the apartments and commercial premises it is today. She herself was waiting outside for a bus very early one morning, years ago, when she heard a sound like of a piece of furniture being dragged across the floor inside the then derelict building. There was no furniture or proper floors in there at the time…

Me being me is properly intrigued by this now and I'm planning to ask a lovely man in the village here about it when I see him again. His knowledge of this village and the area is near encyclopaedic and he will definitely know the full story. (And his son is a paranormal investigator)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, FEM, that is a bit scary! Reminds me of some surveillance camera footage I found on FB somewhere. It was taken in a haunted school in Nenagh, I think (town here in Co Tipperary). It showed posters being ripped of the wall, a chair flying across the room and other similar things happening. You could clearly see there was no living person in the room, things just moved spontaneously. The time captured on the footage shows it happened late at night when the school was deserted.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My great grandfather's house in Portland was haunted. You could hear steps going up stairs and doors opening. If you slept in one of the downstairs bedrooms you had to make sure your feet were covered.

Great Grandpa's own grandfather died in the house and the phenomenon started happening shortly after. You'd hear something and know it was just Old Jack. He's the one who built the house originally.

I don't think my Great Aunt mentioned anything when they sold off the house after Great Grandpa died in the late 90s. Wasn't the best area of the city by that time but the area was undergoing urban renewal and being gentrified again. So someone bought a huge Victorian house on an acre in downtown Portland Oregon not knowing they were getting a family ghost.

It was a neat house. At some point Great Grandpa had connected the "garage" to the house so you could get there without getting wet. He installed wooden doors so you could get one car in. More could have fit but he didn't want to take down the 2 horse stalls that were still there. All the sidewalks in the neighborhood still had the metal rings for tying up horses out front of a house if you were visiting

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh cool! That stuff intrigues and kinda creeps me out at the same time.

Not sure if I've shared this story here or not... My CRS is acting up, lol!

A couple of summers ago we took our students on a field trip to a Chiropractic college to visit their cadaver lab. Upon arriving I asked where the ladies room was and was pointed in the right direction. I entered, hung my purse on the hook, and looked for a place to put my clipboard. There were no benches or shelves so I put the clipboard on the corner of the sink. It was a large enough sink that the clipboard was very secure. I proceeded to "rest" in the restroom when suddenly the clipboard launched off of the sink and landed across the room on the floor. I was just a little surprised, lol. I responded with a "tell me how you really feel" comment and got the heck outta there!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This going to sound like bs. But when i bought my first house (it was built in the 40s) we wouod always see dark spots around the ceiling from the corner of our eyes until we turned to look. The place was pretty creepy as well.

A few years in i decided to rewire the place. While working in the attic i found a pair of lineman pliers with no insulation on the handles. They looked to be from the 50s. They had also been blown up. A chunk was missing from the cutting edge from cutting into a live wire. They were engraved with the name ray.

I tossed the pliers. And i ran all the new wiring in metal conduit. Never seen anything afterward

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Daaaang! Maybe Ray was able to move on when the job was done right and complete.... Wow!

Idk. Maybe he was pretty attached to his lineman pliers. As an electrician, i never go anywhere without my kleins.

Or maye the old knob and tube wiring put out a strong electromagnetic field and the conduit over the new wiring sheilds that now somewhat. Ive read that electromagnetic fields can give you off feelings, or feelings of dred, etc.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A good few years ago I worked (and stayed in) a hotel in S.A. One evening I was down in the bar chatting with a co-worker who was tending the bar that evening. I was expecting one of our regulars, an elderly man called Eddie. I clearly saw an elderly man walk down the corridor that leads to the sitting area, toilets and the bar's main entrance door and thought it was him. After about a minute he didn't come into the bar, so I went to investigate. I even went into the men's bathroom to go look. He wasn't there. Back in the bar I said to my co-worker, I saw Eddie come in, but now he's nowhere to be found and he didn't leave (I would've seen him walk past the back door, which was half open) That was so strange. She asked me to describe the man I saw and I said an elderly man, walking like Eddie does, a bit stooped, wearing a checked shirt. She got the strangest look on her face. She knew who it was I saw, but refused to tell me and I didn't push. The look on her face was enough to let me know to leave it. What I do know though is that it was not a living person...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think that sometimes, we see an apparition and don't even realize it. My ex SIL told me how she used to have long conversations (for a child) with an old man who she would sometimes see around their place. She didn't think anything of it, until she was older and learned the history of the house...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I went up there two days ago for a take out and had to go outside for proper cell signal, so I can go online on my phone while I waited for my food. I lasted about 20 seconds on the corner before I decided there is better signal at the pub 3 doors down :p

I plan to go do the paranormal lockdown at "Ireland's most haunted house" sometime… https://www.loftushall.ie If I make it I'll post about it on my website.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He had awful stories which I only remember vaguely, probably better that way. My MIL's house is haunted also. Her name is Mildred. She mostly hangs out in the pantry. Every time I've brought my dog there he stands and growls nervously at the pantry. Creepy! She's never done any harm though.