Another Q about homemade laundry soap!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Nope, no washing soda at Walmart or Target here either. But we also have Big Y so I get it there. I know that doesn't help those of you not in MA or CT.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Going green with these ingredients is not only about thier direct environmental impact. IT is also about how much petroleum is used to process these items. THe more ingredients in a product the more chance of it taking/traveling many miles.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Making these changes can be challenging. I agree with who ever posted that steering clear of petroleum products is probably wise. I want cleaner/greener and cheaper!
I am still researching.....I hope Pat comes along to participate in this post...she is good at the whole chemistry thing!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I know it is overwhelming, I feel your pain! I go in one direction, thinking it is the right one, then find out that I fell prey again to deceptive advertising or incomplete information or whatever!

It is almost impossible to live a petroleum-free life today, even organically grown wheat that I grind is grown and shipped and processed using petroleum. But if we all reduce our personal impact in even the smallest way, and help others on their journeys, together we can make a HUGE difference.

Even taking some profit away from the huge corporations and agri-biz is a victory, IMHO. Just growing some oregano and parsley in a windowbox in your city apartment makes a difference. It's gotta start somewhere.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I usually find the washing soda at the hometown grocery stores.

As someone mentioned, I believe that Borax is a mined product. I'll have to check on that.

I have been using Ivory, Borax and washing soda for laundry for a few years. We all have very sensitive skin and have noticed less itch using it. We also used only goat milk soaps for our bodies and that has helped with skin issues, too.

Something else to share.......we are very careful with our septic system. We've never used powdered detergents and liquid fabric softeners when washing clothes. I use the liquid recipe and this laundry mixture hasn't caused any problems.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It is almost impossible to live a petroleum-free life today, even organically grown wheat that I grind is grown and shipped and processed using petroleum. But if we all reduce our personal impact in even the smallest way, and help others on their journeys, together we can make a HUGE difference.

Even taking some profit away from the huge corporations and agri-biz is a victory, IMHO. Just growing some oregano and parsley in a windowbox in your city apartment makes a difference. It's gotta start somewhere.
I completely agree with you. I am all about small changes that eventually will lead to my own personal revolution....hence my title :)

One baby step at a time!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
prairiegirl said:
I usually find the washing soda at the hometown grocery stores.

As someone mentioned, I believe that Borax is a mined product. I'll have to check on that.

I have been using Ivory, Borax and washing soda for laundry for a few years. We all have very sensitive skin and have noticed less itch using it. We also used only goat milk soaps for our bodies and that has helped with skin issues, too.

Something else to share.......we are very careful with our septic system. We've never used powdered detergents and liquid fabric softeners when washing clothes. I use the liquid recipe and this laundry mixture hasn't caused any problems.
Do you find there is a difference between the liquid recipe and the dry? I really do not want the hassle of the liquid....do you think it makes a difference?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey dace
honestly I thought about going green to the level of "all the way"

I can't do it.

Cause even if we skip Tide and do it ourselves, the only difference is we are using less chemicals in the products. Because Tide is manufactured.....as one product, at one factory. We are using 3 products basically to make our soap. So 3 manufacturing products to make our product. So 3 locations operating to give us our product? wash soda, borax and our soap like Fels we add.

So in a way we are using more resources and packaging to make our product BUT we are actually using less chemicals back to the earth. Our product is less nasty in a way and we save money.

So if we are using 3 products to make 1 that we can buy like Tide, are we doing well......yes, cause Tide has other additives that are produced and we choose not to use those therefore saving more on the manufacturing trail.

Anytime we "buy" a product to do what we need to.....then we are contributing to the footprint of it all.

hmm...I thought about this as you can see.

So I put it to this-----what I do to make it greener for the environment is a plus. As much as I can. What I do to make it more SS for me, like if Tide factory shut down I know I can make laundry detergent.....but if my wash soda, borax and Fels were not available, how would I wash my clothes? I don't know...I haven't researched back far enough to see if it was just PLAIN OLD water and a good scrub ya know........

I don't know....just rambling cause I am killing about 1/2 hr. before I have to go to my baby shower...LOL-LOL---but it is fun to talk about this stuff.

oh I like powder. even if you clump it in the washer, it is still easier to deal with than liquid.....but I use very little powder and mix with water at the bottom before I add clothes...that way it gets dissolved.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
OK FC...good points however another question is how did all of the chemicals and ingredients got to the Tide factory? Shipped of course :)

I know that there are so many variables. I like the idea of using less chemicals and being able to make my own cleaners. I have stopped using chemicals to clean (other than dish washing liquid and dishwasher tabs...and laundry soap, till I find that damn soda) I love that I can clean my home with just a few ingredients and that they are not toxic really makes me happy.

I guess you are kind of right in that there is no one easy answer...you really have to think things thru and choose the option that brings you closest to your own personal goals :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dishwasher detergent is super easy

Mix and use per dishwasher load:
1 Tablespoon Borax
1 Tablespoon Baking soda

OR

Mix equal parts Borax and Baking Soda, and add 2 Tablespoons per load. Increase proportion of soda for hard water. Use vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I do this and it is fine!!

BUT yes if Tide has chemicals shipped to them.....then you have to say, well I am buying 3 products, that is 2 boxes and soap wrapped in cellophane or whatever......so that adds to the landfill more unless you burn them than 1 Tide box of powder....LOL----for me you can't win in a way. Cause who knows if Tide being so big of a company doesn't manufacture some of their ingredients to save costs??? heck I don't know...LOL

but you can backtrack more, hmm...the chemicals shipped to Tide have containers and do they go to the landfill or get refilled and used again..........but my 2 companies giving me wash soda and borax, that is 2 boxes being produced to sell the product.

Ugh, the more you try to figure out a true footprint on anything you could go insane. I think without the true knowledge of how it is produced, each little product and what is involved we can't make a true decision....but again, using less chemicals is just my start....a plus for me!

oh well rambling and having fun