Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm going to be making about 80 lbs of cabbages into sauerkraut this weekend. I was wondering if anyone else makes their own delicious sauerkraut. I'll post pics and do a little write up of how I make sauerkraut in 5 gallon food grade buckets.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hubby wants me to make some but space for a bucket is at a premium in our tiny house. I'm thinking about trying to do a small batch in a half gallon jar. I have the wide mouth glass weights to try.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm the only sauerkraut eater in my family. :( I have made it once...and I loved it. If my cabbages do well I might try to make some more. What I love more than sauerkraut is Kimchee! And my DH loves it too - so that's probably what I'll concentrate on more.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made fermented sauerkraut twice- once it turned out wonderful, so tasty! The second time, I think the weather was too warm and the bacteria got in control. I should try again, since this would be the perfect time to make it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok here we go... They say a family that makes sauerkraut together stays together :)

Start with approx 80 lbs of cabbages, 2 5 gallon food grade buckets with screw on lids, canning salt, filtered non clorine spring water (.89 a gallon at Walmart) a kitchen scale & a big stiff knife.

uploadfromtaptalk1413662698597.jpg

Remove bad outer leaves but save a few of the good ones. Slice cabbage in half and remove the core. My hunting knife I made works great for this.
uploadfromtaptalk1413935568738.jpg

Slice long ways and small enough to fit in the food processor. The food processor makes quick work of shredding. Several large bowls are also needed for this.
uploadfromtaptalk1413935603210.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413935626729.jpg

Weigh out 5 lbs (shredded weight) and dump into the 5 gallon food grade bucket. Sprinkle 3 TBS of pickling salt and massage in. Then pack it down firm with a ash ball bat.
uploadfromtaptalk1413935651483.jpg

Keep layering 5 lbs of shredded cabbage into the food grade bucket until you have 7 layers or 35 lbs. Remember each 5 lbs gets 3 TBS of pickling salt massaged in and a good smashing with the ball bat Once 35 lbs is reached - lay a few good outside cabbage leaves over the top. This help keep small bits from rising to the top.
uploadfromtaptalk1413938379087.jpg

Then add a upside down dinner plate and press the plate down until the juices come up over the plate. Then add a 1/2 pint jar upside down and pour in 1/2 gallon of brine (brine is 3 TBS pickling salt dissolved in 2 quarts of cold filtered non clorine spring water) the 5 gallon food grade screw lid will keep the plate submerged.
uploadfromtaptalk1413938510419.jpg

Repeat for the next 35 lbs or bucket #2.
uploadfromtaptalk1413942573642.jpg

Ensure the 1/2 pint canning jar is in the center then screw the lids down tight then back off about 1/16 of a turn so the buckets can berp. Store the buckets away from a heat source that's easily excessable so you can unscrew the lid every couple of days and skim the scum little bits of cabbage that raises to the top and of course sneak a little :)

And there you have it 70 lbs of shredded cabbage fermenting easy smeazy...In several weeks it will be sauerkraut. Any little bits of cabbage that finds it's way to the top and gets air will need to be skimmed and trown away along with any scum that forms on top of the water. Happy skimming :)

I'll post some pics as the weeks pass and when I skim.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice! Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

I've made saurekraut like this for many years - so I'm pretty confident it'll be ok or I hope it will be. I only had one batch go bad I'm pretty sure that's because I used city water that had clorine added of course.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you can it afterwards or just dip it outta the crock when you want some?

The first few times we dipped out of the bucket (I wished I had a real crock). But now we can (water bath) it because it's much more convenient and easier to store for us. I tell you one thing though your talking about some lip smacking polish sausage and kraut though, my grandkids love it and actually lick their plates clean. Rubens are delicious also :)

It's definitely time to make another 70 lbs - it's a sad day when there's only 2 quarts left from December 2015 in the pantry.
IMG_20171111_202336397.jpg

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your instructions and the pics! I'll definitely be following this.