1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Fire Fuel for Heating Discussion Thread - Keeping those cold days away!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by CrealCritter, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Nov 12, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Almost Self-Reliant

Grandparents make kraut -- yummy. I'd do this in some smaller containers as only ME to eat it, well chickens do. Next year, no cabbage this year. That "tiny garden" thing.

I'm a fan of pickled beets, pickled beans, corn, etc. Yeah, it's canned but so good.

CrealCritter likes this.
  2. Nov 13, 2017 at 3:24 AM
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

Are you going to follow up, step by step, on your process? I have grown to like sauerkraut and would like to try to make some. Thanks for posting this!

3. Nov 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

For You? Yes I will follow up :) I'll be doing my first skimming in a few days. I use a small wire mesh strainer and clean out what is in the brine that has made its way up past the cabbage leaves and dinner plate. The little bit I get when I skim gets thrown into the trash because it's no good.

baymule likes this.
  4. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

Do you have to grind it so fine or can you leave it in bigger strips?

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  5. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    CrealCritter

You can cut it longer if you like. I used to do it like that and prefer it that way but everyone else likes it smaller.

Here another "recipe" from the old farmers almamac ---> https://www.almanac.com/content/how-make-sauerkraut

The keys to success is 3 TBS of pickling (non-iodine) salt per 5 lbs shreaded cabbage, spring or well water (no clorine added) to make the brine and absolutely no cabbage cores. Other than that keep away from a heat source, keep the cabbage submerged in the brine and it's nothing more than a big waiting game.

baymule and sumi like this.
  6. Nov 13, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    CrealCritter

Don't see why you couldn't reduce the "recipe". Salt ratio per shredded cabbage weight, brine, keeping the cabbage submerged and stored at room temperature are the critically important things to a successful ferment.

7. Nov 14, 2017 at 2:03 AM
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

When we were kids, we'd help my grandmother make a HUGE crock of sauerkraut every fall. We'd have big cheese graters and would grate the cabbages into big pails that would then be dumped into the big crock in the basement. I can't count the number of times we literally added our own blood to the batches by scraping them on the (cheese) graters when we tried to get those last chunks cut up.

My favorite recipe for kraut is to brown knockwurst or bratwurst and then put it in the bottom of a stoneware pan. Cover with Bavarian sauerkraut (it is slightly sweeter and has caraway seeds - don't drain the sauerkraut), cover this with mashed potatoes (like you would for a shepherd's pie) and bake until heated through. In the last ten minutes, add cheese to the top, and let it melt. YUM!

sumi likes this.
  8. Nov 14, 2017 at 2:36 AM
    CrealCritter

Where do you live and what time is supper?

sumi likes this.
  9. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

X2! Gosh, that sounds :drool