Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's just a little bit of 2015 kraut left. Then I can start of 2018 kraut. 2015 was a good year, it think kraut gets better with age.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You should've made some in 2016 and earlier in 2017? (Unless you did and didn't mention it ate it all ;))

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband just told me how much he wants to make sauerkraut... So I better start watching this!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok, I planted 61 cabbage plants March 9, that I started from free seed I got from Baker Creek. I am reviving this thread because I want to make sauerkraut and I figured I'd best go to the master, here.

Everything I have read said that water bath and canning kills the probiotics in the sauerkraut. So my question is, can you make a batch of sauerkraut, keep some in the refrigerator (live bacteria) and can the rest, keeping the juice from the raw sauerkraut to "jump start" a jar of canned sauerkraut when you open it, to replace the good bacteria?

Can I slice it 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick? I like the look and texture of shreds.

Page one of this thread is 80 pounds of cabbage to make two 5-gallon buckets of fermenting cabbage. How many cabbages was that? @CrealCritter have you any idea what I might expect from my 61 cabbage plants? That is barring insects, varmits, hail, tornadoes and a pine tree falling on them. I also set out 60 kale plants, blue lacinato kale plants. Can I use these in the sauerkraut also? Kale is supposed to be all that, good for you and blah, blah, blah. I have no freaking idea why I planted so much kale, I don't even know if I like it or not. But I bet the sheep will! LOL

I am trying to get ahead of the 8 ball. Normally I am up to my armpits in whatever before I think, "Hey! I need to do something!" Any advice you have, I will be delighted to hear it.