Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:celebrate The carrots are done, I tasted one yesterday and it was good!
094.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. So I just sent her this link. We shall see what she selected in due time. I've always wanted a crock so maybe that's what she chose or maybe not - IDK...

https://www.lehmans.com/category/fermenting-pickling

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fermented Carrots with Ginger
View attachment 17191

View attachment 17192
View attachment 17193
View attachment 17194

View attachment 17195

View attachment 17196fi

Wash the carrots and the jar
Cut up the carrots, peel the ginger
Fit them in the jar, you don't want the carrots to be taller than the water level,

Then I desolve 1/2 tsp of salt in my measuring cup or a glass of water, I then an other 1/2 tsp
I filled the glass and poured it over the carrots then added more water until the tops of the carrots were covered,
I used a coffee filter and rubber band to cover it

non-iodized salt only right? (otherwise known sometimes as pickling salt or kosher salt)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ball makes a kit with pusher, springs and vented tops. 👍. Nice for small ferments.

how about pea gravel in a freezer bag or small sandwich bag? as long as it doesn't leak it should be ok.

i was also thinking if you really wanted glass of some kind that if you took old thicker window type glass and then ground down the edges you could make whatever custom sizes and shapes you wanted, but then it would be a fair bit of work.

i vastly prefer glass over any other material for food storage and prep uses. non-leaded and clear glass only - no funny colored stuff...

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
how about pea gravel in a freezer bag or small sandwich bag? as long as it doesn't leak it should be ok.

i was also thinking if you really wanted glass of some kind that if you took old thicker window type glass and then ground down the edges you could make whatever custom sizes and shapes you wanted, but then it would be a fair bit of work.

i vastly prefer glass over any other material for food storage and prep uses. non-leaded and clear glass only - no funny colored stuff...

I have scrubbed a just right sized rock and put it in a ziplock and used that

Latest posts