Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got the kraut put in jars, tastes great!!
IMG_0210.JPG

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a cabbage that has been in the fridge a while. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is okay to use,? I want to spice mine as I have a nice locally grown Chile here.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've just ordered kosher salt ,I think it may be best for fermentation

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm going to start mine off today and pickle some beetroot.
I've just ordered kosher salt ,I think it may be best for fermentation
I have a cabbage that has been in the fridge a while. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is okay to use,? I want to spice mine as I have a nice locally grown Chile here.
The cabbage may be a bit dry, you may nee to add a cup of water and then wait a few days, repack it down and add more if there isnt enough to cover the cabbage.

I have done beets, they are great on salads

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The cabbage may be a bit dry, you may nee to add a cup of water and then wait a few days, repack it down and add more if there isnt enough to cover the cabbage.

I have done beets, they are great on salads
Thank you for the pointer, I wasn't sure even after searching for advice
So I just did the bread and the beetroot today plus I made what we call a stew, I boiled up a beef bone with onions garlic and ginger than added locally grown root vegetables.

I might wait until the kosher salt arrives for the sauerkraut and then pickle my eggs while I'm at it. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread has become active.

Fact: Homemade sauerkraut is awesome.

I'm learning so much from all the posts here. You all keep up the good work and don't be shy, ask questions. That's how we learn from each other 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for the pointer, I wasn't sure even after searching for advice
So I just did the bread and the beetroot today plus I made what we call a stew, I boiled up a beef bone with onions garlic and ginger than added locally grown root vegetables.

I might wait until the kosher salt arrives for the sauerkraut and then pickle my eggs while I'm at it. :)
I just use sea salt,
I have beef bones and make bone broth. I roasted mine in the oven last time so some of the marrow fat cooked off, I cant handle to much of the oil, but then I boiled them in the pressure cooker. I refrigerated the broth over night and cut the fat off. i know some use the fat to cook with.
IMG_1137.JPG IMG_1138.JPG

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just use sea salt,
I have beef bones and make bone broth. I roasted mine in the oven last time so some of the marrow fat cooked off, I cant handle to much of the oil, but then I boiled them in the pressure cooker. I refrigerated the broth over night and cut the fat off. i know some use the fat to cook with.
View attachment 17093 View attachment 17094
I roasted the beef and had a nice few dinners along with my animal's :)
Then I boiled my bone with my softened onions and garlic which wer8e cooked in olive oil first. I managed too get the marrow out of the bone and have a nice portion remaining ready for dinner this evening. Its It's surprising how many meals I got out of that beef :)

I have a pressure cooker but I like using my enamelled iron pan for some reason

I just spoke to the farmer and asked for another beef cut, I was misunderstood and they thought I asked for marrow bones :D then I got through what I meant and now I'm getting both marrow bones and this amazing beef. I like those kind of mistakes that gains goodness, :) happy day's.

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I roasted the beef and had a nice few dinners along with my animal's :)
Then I boiled my bone with my softened onions and garlic which wer8e cooked in olive oil first. I managed too get the marrow out of the bone and have a nice portion remaining ready for dinner this evening. Its It's surprising how many meals I got out of that beef :)

I have a pressure cooker but I like using my enamelled iron pan for some reason

I just spoke to the farmer and asked for another beef cut, I was misunderstood and they thought I asked for marrow bones :D then I got through what I meant and now I'm getting both marrow bones and this amazing beef. I like those kind of mistakes that gains goodness, :) happy day's.
So are you eating the marrow for dinner?