Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...But I would like to taste the carrots.

Thinking maybe 2 lbs cored & shredded cabbage, 2 lbs peeled and shredded carrots and 1 lb peeled and shredded beets next time.

IDK still experimenting...

I'm not ready to post the recipe just yet.

you may find that you have to nearly skip the beets entirely, but good luck! :)

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I
Picture of my first ferment attempt at 1 lb carrots, 2 lbs beets and 2 lbs cabbage all shredded weight. I peeled the carrots and beets with a potato peeler, then shredded them. So I guess this would be a raw ferment, since I didn't cook any of the ingredients.

First taste test after skimming, there was scum to skim. it's got a good taste and the carrots and beets are crunchy. Still need more time to ferment, it's still a little to salty. The ferment seems to be rolling along nicely. Interested to see how this experiment turns out. If it's good I'll post the recipe.
View attachment 22070

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

It should be and stay crunchy, if it is to salty to the taste it will be slower to ferment, you should never pre cook any veg before fermenting.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love fermented stuff, including turnip kraft

Now does sourdough count as a fermented food, asking for a friend

Yes, sourdough is , and if you make the bread it should set up for 12 hours or so according to a good recipe

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter; I've been thinking 'bout you these last two months. See, I made sauerkraut again. It didn't work.
1. my cabbage wasn't thin enough
2. I accidently forgot to use my store bought distilled water and used tap water instead
3. Its waaaay too salty.

I didn't use your recipe but combined a few to make my own. HA!!!

What a waste of two heads of cabbage.

Anyway, I tried. My gut needs the probiotics and so I'll have to try again.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am making fermented beets; carrots and cabbage kraut today,
I got my first picking of beets and carrots washed up and will cut/pull ready cabbage out in the garden this morning. I weas going to can all of this but fermented is so much better for us
image_17172481.JPG

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fermented Carrots with Ginger
View attachment 17191

View attachment 17192
View attachment 17193
View attachment 17194

View attachment 17195

View attachment 17196fi

Wash the carrots and the jar
Cut up the carrots, peel the ginger
Fit them in the jar, you don't want the carrots to be taller than the water level,

Then I desolve 1/2 tsp of salt in my measuring cup or a glass of water, I then an other 1/2 tsp
I filled the glass and poured it over the carrots then added more water until the tops of the carrots were covered,
I used a coffee filter and rubber band to cover it

Its geed to look back and remember what I did before :lol:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sounds amazing

come on over, I'll make more coffee,,, DH is working on knives for the Salt Lake City knife show, Blade Show West
the wood stove guy will be here at 10,,, it will be a party,,,oooop!s is sounds like I need to go open the coop door :eek:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am making fermented beets; carrots and cabbage kraut today,
I got my first picking of beets and carrots washed up and will cut/pull ready cabbage out in the garden this morning. I weas going to can all of this but fermented is so much better for us
View attachment 24081
😋 Yummy awesome fermented foods 😋

Farm babe informed Sunday we are down to put last 3 quart jars of sauerkraut, she was highly conserned. We fermented 2 5 gallon batches (70 lbs shredded weight) last fall.

But she eats it like candy and gave some away. I didn't sow seeds thinking we would have enough until next year, looks like I was wrong 🙄

Currently looking for farmers market cabbage to ferment.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
😋 Yummy awesome fermented foods 😋

Farm babe informed Sunday we are down to put last 3 quart jars of sauerkraut, she was highly conserned. We fermented 2 5 gallon batches (70 lbs shredded weight) last fall.

But she eats it like candy and gave some away. I didn't sow seeds thinking we would have enough until next year, looks like I was wrong 🙄

Currently looking for farmers market cabbage to ferment.

Azure has fresh produce too