Any Good Ideas for Plastic Grocery Bags?

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I do have and use my own cloth reusable grocery bags. But my ex did not and so when I moved of his house I used a ton of them as packing material. I thought it was pretty clever at the time, but now I have all his stupid bags! :he

I haven't wanted to throw them away because I'm convinced there will be some brilliant use for them, but I haven't figured out what yet. I know I can just bring them to the dump to be recycled, but if there's a use for them around the house first, I'd rather do that. Any ideas?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've seen a pattern (for sale, unfort) for knitting plastic bags together to make market totes. Maybe it was on MakeItYourself, or a DYI site.

I know, not very helpful!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most supermarkets will recycle them if you take them in. In all these years I've never found anything to make them into that I wanted to keep around me.

you can always deliver home baked goods in them to friends and neighbors then they have to figure out what to do with them!

In some parts of Mexico they use them to decorate the country side.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I've also seen a pattern or directions on how to weave them to make mats/rugs.
Not sure I'd like those in my house but perhaps outside to help catch mud or dirt...

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You Tube for plastic bag rug. They make great outdoor rugs, and when the get caked in mud, you just hose them off :)

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
You Tube for plastic bag rug. They make great outdoor rugs, and when the get caked in mud, you just hose them off :)
Pretty cool idea. I'd have to dig out a crochet hook and see if I can remember how to crochet!

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I cut them in strips and hold it together with scrap acrylic yarn and crochet basketsand bowls. It's hard on the hands but they are useful. Use the same patterns as rag crochet.

Latest posts