Any Good Ideas for Plastic Grocery Bags?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last year my grandson and all of his cub scout buddies made sleeping bags out of plastic bags. One of the mothers had experience with knitting or crocheting them and assisted the kids and their parents. Those bags came out GREAT and the kids said that they were very warm. 7, 8, and 9 year olds get everything muddy on rainy campouts and these bags are very easy to hose off with the garden hose.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy those $1.88 fleece Throw blankets on Black Friday and make draft dodgers with them and I have used the plastic bags to stuff them- the tiny air pockets made by the crinkled up bags in the tube of fleece really work well as an insulator and I have them on the doors and on my old windows to keep the drafts down.
On the windows I mean at the middle where the two windows meet and sometimes that felt that used to be there is not any longer. I just measure and make smaller tubes for each window and then lay them on that little ledge formed by the windows and then I put a window quilt over everything and tuck it in. Our biggest gas bill last winter was only $118 and we use gas for heating and water heating and cooking. We have a huge old 100 year old house with 5 bedrooms.

Also if you do a search on plarn there are quite a few patterns and ideas of what to make with the bags.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Plarn huh?? I will have to check that out. I save those bags forever with the intent of crocheting shopping bags. I finally gave in last spring and sent them to the recycling center. :th Never enough time in my day!!

g

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use all plastic bags like that to put into my little garbage cans in the bathrooms and they are great for nasty projects when u have garbage

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Some of these ideas should be considered hijacked! The crocheting is COOL, and the draft dodgers idea is priceless! I never would have thought of those myself! I'm going to make a couple doormats too....I have been needing some of those anyway. Thanks!!!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We re-use those bags at the Farmer's Market - only we don't need as many now because people bring their own. We even have customers who bring us bags of bags. :lol:

Oh and I always make a scary man at Halloween to sit on my front porch. I stuff one of Gary's torn shirts and pair of pants with all the bags I can find (or newspaper), make a head, put a scary mask on him with long stringy hair, put his legs down into a pair of old workshoes and white cotton work gloves to make his hands, sit him in the rocking chair on my front porch. I've kept a blue plastic bag all these years that I put behind the mask and it makes his eyes look really eerie. One year after Halloween was over, I moved him down the the bench on Gary's workshop porch and left him there for a long time. Our neighbor came over because he thought Gary was sitting still for too long.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We made bean bag chairs and stuffed them with plastic bags! :lol: The kids love 'em and I didn't have to buy anything for the filler.

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use them during the winter to stuff in all the nooks and crannies that my 80 year old house has to help keep out drafts. They work well for that, can be forced into the tiniest cracks and not noticeable.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great ideas everyone. My bag collection has been growing. We keep the bags in a bin on top of the fridge. It's getting so full when you open the refridgerator door bags float down onto our heads. It was starting to make me crazy.:lol: