Any idea on why my plants are discolored?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
WxuRKyXRSPicFemVhmYFaQ.jpg

Normal tomato plant.

IMG_0014.JPG

Purple'ish tint to some and less vigorous.

So, I got these plants for free. They were discolored when I got them, and most of them have came out of it. These plants are next to each other. I think it is probably a nutrient deficiency of some sort.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dr. Google says:

"When you notice a plant with purple leaves rather than the normal green color, it is most likely due to a phosphorus deficiency. All plants need phosphorus (P) in order to create energy, sugars and nucleic acids. ... If the soil is cool early in the growing season, a phosphorus deficiency may develop in some plants."

And this:

"While purple fruit is characteristic of certain cultivars, purple leaves are most often caused by stress or disease. In most people's minds, purple tomato leaves are the result of nutritional deficiencies, primarily of phosphorus, nitrogen, or potassium."

Maybe a nice dose of compost and/or compost tea would help? :hu

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think I have figured it out. I noticed a few dead marigolds, and pulled them up. The roots were brown. I am pretty sure I have plants dealing with root rot. I have some tomatoes and peppers that look like they are dealing with a. deficiency of some sort. Which, according to my research, is how root rot manifests itself above ground.

We have had a lot of rain, and our soil is primarily clay. Thus, it has not drained as well as it should have. Not to mention, the soil has been neglected for about four years without any soil organic matter applied.

Oh well. I hope I can keep most of my plants, and have a little to can. We are going into a dry stretch...

This fall, I have so much work to do with building this garden up.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
dig one up, enlarge the hole, add better soil & compost, replant and see what happens. Then you know.

Yes, clay can be an issue.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Type and side dress a 12-12-12 or 13-13-13 and and little bit of epsom salt (magnesium) if you have any spent shells (shot gun) bury 3 or 4 around the drip line of the tomatoes plant.

Don't be afraid to go a little heavy with the fertilizer just make sure you don't get it on the leaves or stems, but go very very light with the Epsom salt. Epsom salt aids in the uptake of NPK (fertilizer) through the roots. you don't want to shock the tomato plant with to much iptake all of a sudden.

You could also add about an 1/16 to 1/8 of a cup of regular old liqiud ammonia from Dollar general to 2 gallons of water and spray mist the leaves and the soil around the tomato plant in the early evening after the sun is off the garden. That will green things up right quick also.

When the new leaves reach a dark green you know you got enough nitrogen in the soil.

My soil tested low on nitrogen, which is very common for parie lands. I used to use ammonia nitrate (52-0-0) very easy to apply, until the oboma administration made it so expensive and you have to give your personal information in order to buy it. I just said nope I wont buy it no more... so I've got really creative over the years to supplement nitrogen.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You might try planting a couple of tomatoes above ground, in pots or a raised bed. They would get better drainage and that way you would have a better chance of getting SOME kind of harvest.

The problem with just digging out a hole and adding compost is that any water will end up standing in the hole because the clay surrounding it still won't be able to percolate properly.