any ideas where to buy lye in Canada?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would like venture into the world of soapmaking, and I have no idea where to get lye. Any ideas? Can I just go to the hardware store, and get a bottle of drain cleaner, considering it is made of lye, or do I need lye specifically for soap making? See? I know nothing. :)

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The only way I can find lye here is to look at the hardware for cans of "drain cleaner" that are 100% sodium hydroxide. A 1# can costs about $4.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It must be 100% sodium hydroxide, not just any drain cleaner will do.

Sorry, I have no idea where to get it way up that way. I finally found it at Home Depot ... maybe you have an equivalent to that and can try there?

There are some soap maker forums and you could ask there. Maybe someone there could help you with where to find it.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you cant find it try a small hardware store and ask them to order it for you. The one here will do it and so will the grocery store next door to us.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have Home Depots here. So, assuming it is 100% sodium hydroxide, it'll be ok--as in--there are not different strengths etc., --there is not a specific one that can or can't be used for soap making?

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No. Sodium hydroxide is a pure compound. As long as the "drain cleaner" is 100% SH, it is what it is.

Bill_the_Baker

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I buy my lye at Essential Depot , its food grade and perfect for making pretzels, but I also use it to make soap in my spare time. Its the best I have found and the price is great, Use the discount code "ship30" to receive a 30% discount on shipping.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Note to Bill the Baker:
How long will your lye (food grade?) store and under what conditions will it store the longest?
It seems that this is one of the things I'd like to put away for a while.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/

Thanks
//-... -//
Trim sends

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Never heard of essential depot. Is it Canadian? I did happen to find lye. Now I am looking for potassium hydroxide. That seems a bit more challenging to find.

Latest posts