any ideas where to buy lye in Canada?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Whats the difference between food grade lye and drain cleaner lye? I have to say I was a little shocked to know that you can make soap out of drain cleaner:) yikes! Miss North, where did you fid your lye? I have wanted to make soap for years and as soon as things settle here I think i just might do it. heehee...or I might be wishful thinking...

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Note to Bill the Baker:
How long will your lye (food grade?) store and under what conditions will it store the longest?
It seems that this is one of the things I'd like to put away for a while.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/

Thanks
//-... -//
Trim sends
Yes there is such a thing as food grade Sodium Hydroxide, I am not sure about Potassium Hydroxide. Both should be kept in sealed air tight containers since they are strong enough to pull moisture and Co2 out of the air. While cleaning out a old Chemistry Lab I ran across a sealed can that was better than 7 years old. When I opened it it was in good condition. It had not grabbed enough moisture to fuse together and did not have a furry coat of Sodium carbonate from absorbing CO2 ( these are the signs of deteriation)
I would only buy metal cans (seal/unseal like paint cans) it comes in jars but the hazard of breaking a jar and cleaning up a spill is a problem. Handle only with complete eye protection and water proof gloves! PS there used to be a drain cleaner that had little bits of alumimum you don't want that or to use a Al container it will eat it for lunch when wet.~gd

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Whats the difference between food grade lye and drain cleaner lye? I have to say I was a little shocked to know that you can make soap out of drain cleaner:) yikes! Miss North, where did you fid your lye? I have wanted to make soap for years and as soon as things settle here I think i just might do it. heehee...or I might be wishful thinking...
Guess the food grade might be pure drain cleaner not so pure.....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I got it at Home Hardware. It's a HOME brand,, in a 3kg container, and it is 100% pure lye crystals.

It has been very hot here, so I havn't been wanting to stand in the kitchen more than I have to right now, but I will be trying it soon. I want the potassium hydroxide to make liquied soap too.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I THINK you can find it online thru the lye guy. Check him out and see. I haven't ordered anything from this guy though.