any ideas?????

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok...all your suggestions sounds great...
will definately be dehydrating....+++++
I never tried pickled onion slices sound interesting
and ohhhyess...gotta do a pot..of onion soup

was thinking while driving... today...
We have lots of pine branch from a previous wind storm
maybe I will store some in the garage...between pine branches...
reasonable insilator...and shouldn't quickly decompose...????????

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Everyone I've given this to raves about this.

RED ONION MARMALADE

Makes: 2 med. Jars
Takes: 1/12 Hours
Keeps: 3 months refridgerated

Ingredients:
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 red onions (approx. 6) peeled, halved, and sliced
Pinch of sea salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
C red wine
3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
3 Tbs white wine vinegar (I subbed ACV)
6 Tbs brown sugar

Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed stainless saucepan (I used my cast iron skillet). Add the onions, the sea salt, and some freshly ground black pepper. Cook over low-medium heat for about 30 minutes until onions soften and turn translucent, stirring occasionally so they dont stick and burn. Slow cooking is essential as this where the delicious caramel taste is developed.

Raise the heat a little, add the wine and vinegars, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, stir in the sugar, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for another 30-40 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Remove the pan from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary (although flavors will mature with time). Spoon into warm sterilized jars with non-metallic or vinegar-proof lids, and store in the fridge to allow the flavors to mature for 1 month. Keep refridgerated after opening.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Here's the other one that I make. I double it and it sure didn't last long.

Sweet Vidalia Onion Relish

Ingredients
4 large red bell peppers
4 large green bell peppers
4 large yellow bell peppers
40 cups grated Vidalia onions
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 large heads cabbage, finely shredded
3 tablespoons kosher salt
9 cups white sugar
2 quarts apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons ground turmeric
3 tablespoons mustard seed
1 tablespoon celery seed

Directions
1.Roast red, green, and yellow bell peppers over an open flame or in broiler, turning frequently, until skins are charred and blistered. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic; let sit 5 to 10 minutes. Remove skins. Cut peppers in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds and stem, and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
2.Place grated onions in a colander to drain liquid. Place them in a large bowl, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup kosher salt. Mix by hand. Mix in cabbage and 3 tablespoons salt by hand. Let sit 1 hour.
3.Place onions and cabbage into colander, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place in cheese cloth or towel, and squeeze out additional water.
4.Place cabbage and onions into a large pot over medium-high heat. Add roasted bell peppers. Stir in sugar, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, mustard seed, and celery seed. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly to prevent onions from sticking to the bottom. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often.
5.To prepare jars you first need to wash jars then place them into the canning pot with rack and boil them in water to sterilize them. Fill a small pot half way with water and bring to simmer; place the lids into water. Taking one jar out of the water at a time put on canning funnel and fill with hot relish about 1/2 inch from the top. Then take a kitchen knife a stick down to the bottom of jar and work the knife around to remove all air bubbles. Wipe off top of jar very well and clean then place a hot lid on jar the screw ring on top. Repeat until all relish is gone. Jars and relish must stay hot throughout this canning process.
6.Place in a bath of simmering water, covering the jars by one inch. Process for 10 minutes, or according to your local extension's guidelines. When jars start to seal and vacuum, the lids will make a pop sound and your canning was a success. Once jars have been opened, store in the refrigerator and use within two weeks.

RhondaLynn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Get a pair of panty hose.. put one onion down a leg.. then tie a knot above the onion. put another onion down the leg, tie a know above the onion. repeat!! This won't make them last forever but helps. Also store the onion/pantyhose in a dark dry place

Rhonda

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow absolutely love the nylon idea...fantastic...will do that
and i made the onion marmalade...do recomend very good

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Keep them in a dry and dark area. They'll keep for months.

This year I learned that there are basically two zones needed for keeping garden produce in a root cellar. Potatoes and such need cold (32-40 oF) and damp. Onions and winter squashes should be kept a little warmer and quite dry.

Also, you should go buy another bag :)

Latest posts