Any Mechanics out there? car trouble

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hubby says your engine might be screwed, but it might not be. It is possible tha since it broke, damaged could have been done but there is a chance you can fix it. and you can do it yourself. you don't need to pay a mechanic. It is worth a shot.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a link that explains how to change the timing belt:
http://www.kia-forums.com/do-yourself/28174-timing-belt-replacement-instructions-finally.html

But DH says that you'd be much better off getting a manual that has pictures on the alignment procedure as that's critical. You will have to put the belt on before you can check the compression.

The bad thing is that you could replace the belt, and still have the same problems because the valves are bent (major $$). DH said that most likely, in that motor, if you were driving it when the belt broke, it did bend some valves.

If your DH is a good DIYer, he could pull the head off, but he'll still have to take it to a mechanic (shop) to have a valve job done on it. That takes precision grinding tools. Good chance you'll have to replace at least 4 valves.

If he's never done anything like this before, it may take him 6 to 8 hours just to take the head off. Then everything has to go back in the reverse order, so that's why the manual would be important. You'll also need a torque wrench to torque the head back on in a certain sequence. If you don't do that, there's a possibility of warping the head. Then more problems...

DH suggests that you try to find someone who has done this before, if not to do all of the work, at least to help. You might get everything back together the way it's supposed to be, but if the timing is off too far, you stand a chance of bending the valves again. It could look like you have all the timing aligned correctly, but actually be off 180 degrees - again, that's why it's important to have the manual.

This is a pretty tough job for a novice, DH recommends that you not even try to fix this one by yourself. It'd still be cheaper to fix this instead of buying a new car if everything else is good on the car. :hugs

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok this car is more pain than its worth.. LOL..

There is no company that makes a repair manual for this car. Chiltons and the other one does not..People keep asking for one, as of 2 years ago, they still have not put one out. Grrrr.. The only way we got a repair manual is to buy a chilton repair manual that has all SUVs for the year, that car repair places own. Wasnt a cheap book even though it was used.. Think I paid around $40 with shipping, maybe a bit less. This is the book I had to buy, http://www.amazon.com/Chiltons-SUV-...3652/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1310574822&sr=8-4 I bought mine 2 years ago, sure wish it was as easy to find as today. We could only find one place that had one for sale when we were looking..

We dont have any thing to barter. The one item we have to barter ($2,000 Diamond & Platinum ring), no one wants.. The only other thing I would have to barter would be chihuahua puppies. But first I would have to find a male, wait for one to go into heat, then wait for the pups.. But they are not registered, so dont go for as much money. Around here Im lucky to get $150 out of them. Thats why I no longer have a male dog, and Ive only had 2 litters..

We dont know any mechanics, dont really know any one in this town. And my mechanic father (if he was really my dad) passed away a few years ago.
But our neighbor said he has done a few in his time, years ago and on easier cars.. DH is thinking about putting a belt on and seeing if the engine is toast. If it is, then I will have to sell the car as a fixer or scrap parts. I bet the engine is toast. That is what happened to my truck back in 1999, but then I was traveling at 55+ miles an hour. This one I was going about 25 when the timing belt broke. But before DH can try to put the belt on, we have to find a place where he can do it.. The last person who worked on a car where we live, got a 30 day eviction notice. No car maintenance allowed here. Luckly he was able to do the fuel pump on my car with out dropping the gas tank, so it was a bit secretive. You lift up the back seats and it has an access panel to get to the fuel pump.. About the only easy thing to do on this car. You cant even put new spark plugs in with out removing the top cover off the engine and a few other things.. Grrr. this car makes me so mad.. And last year we just spent $2,000 on it getting new tires, alignment, and the front end redone..

Why did this have to happen now with no money. School starts in about a month and a half, I dont know how Im going to get the kids to school. A 4th grader and Kindergardner.. Actually I dont even know how Im going to go shopping for food. I cant drive my DH truck, we sold it once and had to repo it back, the guy damaged the tranny. I cant get it into gear.. And the vehicle only holds 3 people, and there is 4 of us. And they outlawed riding in the back of trucks here. You have to have a seat back there with seat belts in order to do it..

Well off to get ready to walk to the nearest store. Which is the most expensive in town.. Grr. Why does that one have to be the closest.. I'll be back on here in about an hour..

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well in the famous words of debiraymond over on BYC..."that's just craptastic!" :/ Buy a horse or a bike. That really sucks :( Sorry for you :hugs maybe the belt will work.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:(

Right this minute, go join your closest Freecycle (online) and ask for some wheels. We have seen ads on our Freecycle that people were trying to get rid of cars for nothing. At this point, you don't need wonderful, you just need something that will work until something better comes along.

What about an automotive vo-tech school? Got one in your area? Sometimes they'll do the repair just for the cost of the parts, but there's usually a waiting list.

When you register the kiddo's at school, explain your dilemna and see if there's someone who can help out there in exchange for a couple hours babysitting in the eve or something like that.

Sigh...:hugs Hang in there.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannnabe, I would love to buy a horse.. Ive always wanted to be in a place where I could.. But full size horses are not allowed here. But in my town you are now allowed to have mini horses. I found one for free in the next town north of us. But alas, I have no where to put it.. I live in an apartment. The bike would be a good idea. But I could not get the kids around town too. They have bikes, but dont know how to ride them. LOL.. And my daughter is to scared to try. Ive thought about getting one of those trailers for a bike. But both my kids together are over the weight limit for them..

I do have a garden wagon.. I can put the smallest kid in it to walk around town and to go to the store. I will just have to make more trips.. I like to do all my shopping for the whole month in only about 1-3 trips to the store. Guess Im going to have to change a bit.. Hmmm. Maybe i should find a place for the free mini horse and train it to pull my wagon.

Im already a member of freecycle.. Never really thought to put a want for a car. I have seen others do that, and around here about all the free ones dont run. :( Our area is real small, not many members on the freecycle.. But I will try, what harm can it do.

But there is an auction of towed cars. DH is thinking about trying for one of those if they run. We might be able to get a yucky looking truck that runs for $500.. But now to come up with the money. They may let us do payments.. But that is only if they are able to get their new car first..

The kids are already inrolled in school. They do that before the end of the year for returning students.. I dont know any of the other parents at all.. The only people I know here are my DHs fellow employees.. All my friends and family moved out of this county.. And the school will not let your kids use the bus unless your over a mile from the school. Which I dont think is fair for people who dont have cars. This is the oregon coast, it rains and rains and rains here.. LOL... And usually is to windy to use an umbrella...

Since we have no money to take the car to a mechanic at all. Not even to get the engine checked to see if it is ok after putting the belt on. We are thinking about just selling it as a fixer.. Darn.. Its not a bad looking rig either.. Leather seats.. A/C was just charged last year along with the other work we had done to it. But we can only do major work on our cars during tax return time. Other than that we live month to month.. But last tax season we did invest in about $500 in silver and gold. I forgot about that.. We are trying to find a buyer for it..

There are no mechanic schools nearby.. They are all about 6-8 hours away.. Im starting to hate this county...

All good ideas every one.. Thank you...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not sure that taking a free mini horse would be the answer. Wouldn't there be boarding costs, feed, vet bills, etc?

How's your hubby getting to work? If you have another vehicle, could he pay a few bucks a week to someone for gas in exchange for hitching a ride with someone?
If the Kia is dead, you can take it off the insurance and that will save you some $ each month. Can you place a free ad to do some babysitting in your place? That would give you some added income. Maybe you'd get lucky and they could take your kiddos to school, too.

One thing for sure is that no one is going to be able to help you if you don't let people know that you need help. So, as hard as it is, it might be time to swallow your pride... I thought we were going to starve one time - too much pride to go ask for assistance or food stamps when DH was out of work. Looking back on it, that was so stupid. That's why we pay taxes.

You sure aren't the only one that has been in this tight spot. Years ago we swapped a dead car for a POS Vega that ran. I had to put as much oil in it as gasoline and it polluted the entire neighborhood with smoke every time I started the thing up. I hated it, was embarassed to drive it. But it served a purpose during a rough patch. We had that thing for a year and then sold it for a few bucks to some other needy person after our situation had improved. Stupid car is probably still running.