Any one else from the great state of Tennessee?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:welcome

Hey Dawn! I'm in E. Tenn. in Athens. It's right off I-75 halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I'm a little late getting to this post, but I'm from E. Tenn (Blount County). Kinda new to the forum, but having the time of my life. Recently retired for the 2nd time, just hanging with my chicks.

Badeye

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Sittin' here next to the KY, TN state line as you travel up I 75

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello from Cocke County!!! That's E. Tennessee off I-40 a few miles from the NC State line.

punkin.. your lucky.. you live by the Mayfield place.. yummy milk :drool

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Ther All:frow!! I have been on BYC and EG for several years now and on SS since there was on a couple hundred members! I have not been on here for about a year, just getting back recently.

Our daughter and son-in-law are at Fort Campbell (although he is deployed right now), we are in CA We are in the mountains between Bakersfield and L.A. My husband has been in construction for over 20yrs. He has basically been out of work since last Aug. He had his second back surgery the end of July. A few days before he got released for light duty work, his boss of 17yrs, called to say they were closing the company!! We were expecting it at some time with the way construction has been the last few years. Several companies he knows (of differing parts of construction) are shutting down. For the last 7 or so yrs. he's been in the office estimating.

We have gone through all our savings a while ago and cannot hang onto our ranch any longer. Our kids have offered to move off base , buy a BIG home for us all to live in.

What I was wondering was the job situation in the Christian County and in the counties in TN (Clarksville, Dickson, Montgomery Counties)that are around Fort Campbell. We are looking at homes in both places. My husband can do about aby type of construction/building type jobs, welding, landscaping, among other things. He has no problem driving over an hour one way. I will mainly be taking care of kids, home, garden, animals, etc.

Our kids say that there is a lot of building going on around the base and area. Just want another opinion.

A couple of other questions- Are the junior highs good around there? We raise our granddaughter and she just stared 7th. Is there a limit on dogs? Do chickens travel well? I sure will miss my snow though!

Thanks for any input.

Monica

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all from Southside! We are in southern Montgomery County, nice to meet ya'll.

As far as jobs in this area, they are pretty scarce, there is a lot of industry, but a lot of people out of work right now. If he has any HVAC experience, there are a couple that are hiring right now. I'm not sure if all the positions have been filled for the new Hemlock Semiconductor Plant that is still under construction, but it would be worth looking into anyway. You can go to tennessee.gov and look at the open positions that have been posted on job services. Good luck!!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sheaviance1- Thank you, he just mentioned yesterday about looking online for jobs in Tenneessee. We won't be moving for a month or two though.

Monica