Any one else from the great state of Tennessee?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Grandkids live too far away to visit much unfortunately. Growing new things every year because we moved from Illinois and not as long a season. Since we are in a similiar area I'll tell you what I have had success with if you are interested.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am from Huntingdon in West Tennessee. Looks like I have some neighbors here. Live in the country, grow a garden and some fruit. Currently have 2 laying welsummers and 13 chicks 7wk olds BO and BR. Semi retired female with grandkids from here to Alaska.

brounii

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! I am a Tennessean from Jonesborough, TN. It's located in Upper East Tennessee.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I posted here last nov. that we were moving from ca to start an extended family with our daughter, sil and three more grandchildren. We ended up renting in Clarksville. DD and SIL are both getting out of the Army next year so we decided to wait until next year to buy a ranch/farm so we can go anywhere we want.

We are looking into wether we can have chickens in our neighborhood - we miss ours a lot -especially the fresh eggs!!

We LOVE it here. Just trying to get all of our stuff changed to TN stuff(Drivers license, voting etc.) slowly but surely. The hardest thing that I am trying to deal with is going from cooking for 3 for 13 years to cooking for 7-8! I seem to either make way too much or too little. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are spending so much on food and it doesn't seem to last very long. I do all of our baking instead of buying baked goods. We will plant a garden as soo as we get to our tiller in our container that we shipped out here. Finally found my seeds, so that's a start.

SIL has a large standup freezer, but it got left off with food in it and it stinks. I have bleached it, used vinegar, baking soda, lysol. It still stinks! Any suggestions on how to get the stink out?

Sorry to run on.
Monica

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome to TN.
I cook Army size meals Cuban style, I could share a couple of recipes that I'm including in my cookbook right now I'm trying to publish in a month or so.

The fridge... 2 steps. Buy a HUGE bag of baking soda and just dump it out everywhere, and fill trays full,cookie sheets full. Change them out after a few days and do it again.

Then boil lemons, and put pots of boiled lemon in the OFF freezer for a few hours to freshen up.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks dawnsuiter!:frow Recipes would be great!! My husband and I went to sam's club and bought tons of food thinking that I had gotten the smell out (I did but it came back!) Luckily, we have three friges with freezers so I was able to dole everything between them.
I always do buy a large bag of baking soda because I use it for so many things.

Monica

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
They have some farmers markets and farms in the surrounding area that sell produce in season in the Clarksville area. It is getting end of season for a lot of veggies but some are still available. For example I slice and freeze peppers for use in the winter and they are still available as is okra. Sweet potatoes, pumpkin and apples are coming in and water melons are reasonable and will feed a lot of folks. I just got back from the weekly market in my area of West TN and saved a bundle on good quality food. Clarksville has one that is crafts and food on Sat but there is also one that is mainly produce, not sure when it is.

Good luck with your freezer. I don't know if a couple of boxes of baking soda will help like it does in a fridge but it would be worth a try once you think you have it useable again to keep the smell from coming back.

Anyway welcome to our state. Finding a farm should not be a problem....too much land for sale and not enough jobs in my area.