Any one in California hear about this?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Anything is possible with the military but I would be shocked if they quarantined anyone on a ship for flu when ventilaion equipment is needed and a hospital setting is required. They would have ferried any really sick people to base by helicopter from any ship of any size.
Sounds fishy to me.
I will be in line for the flu vaccine as soon as it's available for the non-priority people.

mekasmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
firem3 said:
API news reports a Navy captain and a chief petty officer on board an un named ship have died as a result of complications from the H1N1 vaccine.
My DIL is the head nurse at the ER in a small hospital in a rural area. She took the vaccine. She has been very ill for over a week. Fever, sorethroat, cough, just sick from the shot. It gave her the flu. They say that it can't, but it did.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This makes me very nervous. I choose to get my children all the recommended vaccines because If i don't get them the vaccines, and they get the disease and die or suffer serious consequences, it'll be partially my fault for choosing to not get them immunized. If they get sick and die from the shot, I get to share the blame with lots of other people, plus, I really haven't heard of anyone dying from a vaccine.. now those nose spray things.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Military.
Whole 'nother life.
You are told you follow rules they set.

but that aside, if someone got ill from the vaccine it wouldn't be the first time. there is always someone that will be reactive to any vaccine regardless of what it is and I don't know if hoax or not.

I always picture the line of guys in their undies getting their mandatory shots in a row...lol...and their hair shaved off.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Mekasmom, I hear that the vac does not carry live virus, so it is more likely a coincidence that she picked up the flu near the time that she got the shot. Regardless, I am avoiding it but I do feel that sense of guilt that Chicken mentioned.

Reaction score
mekasmom said:
firem3 said:
API news reports a Navy captain and a chief petty officer on board an un named ship have died as a result of complications from the H1N1 vaccine.
My DIL is the head nurse at the ER in a small hospital in a rural area. She took the vaccine. She has been very ill for over a week. Fever, sorethroat, cough, just sick from the shot. It gave her the flu. They say that it can't, but it did.
Since she is the head nurse and is exposed to sick people all day. How does she know she didn't already have it and it just started showing symptoms about the same time as she got the shot?

Reaction score
What annoys me is that I have 2 kids that are high risk and you can't find the vaccine anywhere. The only place you can get it is the county health center. They of course are severely understaffed because of budget cuts and it's like going to get your drivers license. Plus there's sick kids everywhere.

Meanwhile they continue to report higher than average deaths amongst children and teenagers and it's not even flu season yet. On top of that this is the year we decided to put the kids back in public school.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my 1st grader's elementary school is taking them on a 'field trip' to another school to all get their swineflu shots... which makes all my paranoid hairs stand up.... creepy, lining up the kids for shots... and parent's can't attend...

Reaction score
chickensducks&agoose said:
my 1st grader's elementary school is taking them on a 'field trip' to another school to all get their swineflu shots... which makes all my paranoid hairs stand up.... creepy, lining up the kids for shots... and parent's can't attend...
If you don't want them to go then don't let them. I've lived in 3 states with kids and have never had a school take my kids on a field trip without a permission slip. Even if it's just walking around the neighborhood. I wish our school would have the county nurse come in and give shots to kids who's parents sign a form. That would be great.

I see what you're saying though. Kind of sounds like that remake of The Invasion of The Body Snatchers. The new one with Nicole Kidman I think it's called Invasion. They have all the kids lined up to get shots to make them, aliens. Better keep an eye on your kids when they come home. Don't go to sleep.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Anything is possible with the military but I would be shocked if they quarantined anyone on a ship for flu when ventilaion equipment is needed and a hospital setting is required. They would have ferried any really sick people to base by helicopter from any ship of any size.
Sounds fishy to me.
I will be in line for the flu vaccine as soon as it's available for the non-priority people.
I am pretty sure it is just an internet rumor. From what I understand, the H1N1 vaccine is made much like the seasonal flu vaccine. I have had to take live vaccines for other viruses when I went overseas. Have not become sick yet. People rarely get sick from them. If they do, it is not a full on case of the virus. Just mild to severely mild symptoms.

Besides, isn't their two vaccines? One with a live virus and one not.