Any one know how to make cheese?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I get mine online at The Dairy Connection. You can also get it through Rikki Carroll's business....er.....www.cheesemaking.com? Just a minute, I'll check the links....

www.dairyconnection.com

www.cheesemaking.com

That reminds me, I need to buy my cultures and rennet for the coming season! I buy from The Dairy Connection because they will answer any question you have on the phone about recipes and such and will give you answers on goat's milk. Cheesemaking.com is geared more towards pasteurized cows milk and it is harder to get personalized help, but they do have more info on their website and more stuff geared towards the home hobbyist.

It also reminds me that I never got my cheese press pics up! I'll have to get that done this spring when I start up again.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So rennet isn't something that's stocked near canning supplies or something?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Absolutely not. In theory you may still be able to find some store somewhere that sells "junket rennet" tablets (not around here!), but they are not the same as cheesemaking (although if you do find them, check out the Fankhauser website as his recipes use that!). You need to mail-order rennet. I like the liquid better than tablets. While you are at it, order calcium chloride if you're using storeboughten milk, and cultures and proper cheesecloth (butter muslin).

Pat

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score