Any one know how to make cheese?

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a used book on this topic and don't want to buy a kit, so would like to know if anyone knows how and would like to share!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Have you tried your local public library? or an online site? There are a number of sites that even provide pictures you can follow.

One book I really like is The Home Creamery by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley, published in 2008.

Some of the recipes she gives are for yogurt, kefir, butter, buttermilk, creme fraiche, sour cream, cream cheese, ricotta, goat cheese, mozzarella, mascarpone. She also has recipes for using the products you made.

I see that Amazon has it on the online reader, so you can get a feel for this book. I found the directions clearly written and easy to follow.

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Right now I'm trying to look for website, and duh! (forgot about libraries!!), I just need to find a library here.
I'd rather not buy online or new books, maybe I can find that as a used book that someone didn't get into.
Thanks!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
IIRC there is some free information (lots and lots of FAQ stuff, and I think a coupla recipes) on www.cheesemaking.com

I got their 30 minute mozzarella (and ricotta) kit, btw, and while it is not near as easy as the happy title and blurb make it sound, I did get it working, and it's cool, and I think it's a good price for what you get if that is the sort of thing you would like to start out by making. (You'd pay as much or more buying the stuff separately, unless you already had several of the items).

See if your library can interlibrary-loan you Home Cheese Making (dunno whether the latter is 1 or 2 words) by Ricki Carroll,
ISBN # 978 - 1 - 58017 - 464 - 0

Good luck,

Pat

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
look on Ebay. I have been on there looking for books on this subject also. I am finding some.

Sherrynboo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have made it before but am not an expert by any stretch! If you can find the Junket rennet it has some directions in the box. The first time I made cheese it turned into cream cheese but it made the best cheesecake I have ever eaten. The second time went better but I wasn't real happy with it. I am not much for cheese anyway so I guess that is why I have not pursued it. I may try for some more cream cheese when our milk production picks up though.

Sherry in GA

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, I am not sure how you feel about Indian food (India country), but there is a great site that I love www.showmethecury.com and they have a wonderful video on making cheese. Plain and basil. I haven't tried it yet, but the recipee, directions, and video look great. I have tried other recipe's of thiers. They are great . . show all the steps.

cackleberries

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I know you arn't looking for cottage cheese but this is awsome stuff probably cheaper to buy already made though since milk is so high these days. However costs pennies if you have your own milk avail.

Ingredients:

1 gallon 2% milk
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt

1. Heat the milk to 190F. You will need a thermometer for other cheeses but you can get by here turning off the heat just before the milk begins to boil.

2. Add the vinegar and allow the mixture to cool.

3. When cool, pour the mixture, (which now consists of curds and whey as in Miss Muffet food) into a colander and drain off the whey.

4. Pour the curds into a bowl and sprinkle on the salt and mix well. You may wish to use less salt or more. It is simply a matter of taste which is the next step. You can add a little cream for a silky texture.

For cheesemaking procedure and recipe check out this site http://schmidling.com/making.htm
I have only tried this cottage cheese but I have friends who have done the cheese out of goats milk.

Latest posts