Any other ideas for a major sunburn?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok I sat out in the sun way too long, white as could be with no protection. Not a brilliant idea and I now have a 2nd degree sunburn on my shoulders, back, arms, etc. I have been lathering myself in aloe, what else can I use? Its very painful, I can't move or stretch my arm without pain. Sleeping is painful, I'm relying on my two dogs to comfort me all night so I can get a little sleep. Ugh, Anything else I can put on my sunburn?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
aloe......and cold things like a cold towel, cool showers......lotion.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Take extra vitamin d. That speeds mine clearing up. When i was little i got 2nd degree burns and it was cold packs and aloe. Wish i had known the d trick lol.

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The following are home made sunburn soothers which you might want to try. Plain yoghurt, tomato juice, aloe vera gel, chamomile tea or vinegar (half a tablespoon of vinegar diluted in half a cup of water).

Use a clean cotton cloth to apply any one of the above ingredients directly to your skin; or add one of these soothers to a tepid bath.

If you yoghurt rinse your skin after 20-25 minutes, as the yoghurt will turn sour.

opal

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
brew some regular tea.. cool the bag and use the bag of spent leaves. The tanic acid in tea leaves is supposed to help put out the fire too.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
2 cups of vinegar in a bath of water...brings the pH back to normal and cools the burning. This is what I use all the time, and it works wonders

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Drink drink drink. Plenty of fresh water will help with the healing process.

Benadryl at night will help you sleep and by blocking the histamine it will help your skin feel better as well.

red_menace

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The best treatment for a sunburn is what they teach you in the Red Cross first aid course. Fill a sink with cold water and put a ton of ice in it. Let a towel soak in the icewater, and apply it to the burn. After sitting there for a bit, the towel will warm up, and then you put it back in the sink and repeat. Keep doing this for a while and you'll be fine.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aloe vera gel with lidocaine. The lidocaine kills the pain immediately.