any plans for building a smoker?

silkiechick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am planning on making a smoker for cooking meats this year. I have done the searches and all I was just wondering if anyone on here had a unique plan for building a small smoker, not a big smokehouse.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I would love to build one of these for all of the chickens that we do!!
Someone at our church has a box thing that can do 150 chickens in a rotisierre style. But, that is probably not the same thing as a smoker, huh?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
We butchered up some turkeys a few years back and had the local butcher smoke the legs for us YUMMMMMMMMMM!!! DH just pulled some out of the freezer and put them in the roaster so we can have them for New Year's Eve....along with some BBQ wings. Rootbeer floats are also on the menu for tomorrow too!

silkiechick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
silkie-

I like the flower pot one, it would be perfect to take camping!
DhH was just talking to me about making a smoker for curing the paint when painting gun stocks. He can't use our small food smoker and we really don't want to use the oven. Thanks for the links, saved me time.

Monica

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never learned to build a smoker.

I bought one at Lowe's on sale very cheap. It was $199 on sale for $69 at the end of season. I jumped on it.

it is a long metal cylinder with a small metal cylinder off to the side. that is where the heat and smoke are created....no direct heat under the food in the big drum part.

I smoke goat, pork, chicken, turkey...all of it. YUMMY big time!

My smoker is getting old but that sucker sure has hung on and is still working fine.

when it finally rusts out I will probably tackle building one, but if I walk into a good sale again I will probably just buy one again.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got ours at our neighbors yardsale, 10cents!!!! DH has smoked many things, our favorite is lobster tail, I haven't ever had any better!! Since we moved up to the mts. we haven't used it, I miss it ! It makes a mess from drips so we can't put it on our deck with our bbq. We can't put it out on the dirt or rocks because it will attract bears and other critters. DhH is working on fixing up the back area off the deck, he still has to put in the fire pit, a bench by it, a concrete pad for the telescopes, and a concrete pad for the bbq and the smoker. We also are going to build an earth oven!

A few times I made the best enchiladas with chicken he smoked, nothing better than smoked meat and seafood!

Monica

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
IF your going to build a smoker, I would highly recommend that you build a "reverse flow". More even temps, better flame control,much better smoke flavor:) Also...build it out of as heavy a steel as you can! THAT is one of the secrets to maintaining the proper temp.

Here is a shot of my setup...

252379307.jpg

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubby built a smoker out of a top freezer - fridgerator. He put the freezer on the bottom. That is where the fire goes. Drilled holes in the metal seperating the fridge and the freezer. Drilled holes around the top of the (now upside down) smoker. Works wonderful!

silkiechick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I always heard there was a problem using old refrigerators because when the plastic and foam insulation in them got hot it gives off poisonous fumes.