Any tips on making chicken sausage?

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I finally culled that mean a$$ rooster of mine and have brined him, and now I'm ready (tomorrow) to grind his butt up n make sausage. Thing is, I've never done that before and I'd really like some advice! I plan on adding some pork fat cause he was fairly lean, but other than that...? Do I grind it and then mix the herbs in and then take grinding attachment of and put the sausage stuffer on? I have a kitchenaide with grinder. Any help would be great, I'm a visual learner and the instructions are really not that clear....:D

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know squat about chicken sausage, but girl I like your style!! :D

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When we made breakfast link sausage, we just used the sausage stuffer attachment, and piped the sausage out into skinless links, onto a cookie sheet. Froze them, and then popped them off and bagged them. Worked great, no casings required.

Of course, that really only works for unsmoked sausage, of the breakfast type, but it is an option if you have no casings.

We've also done sausage with casings. The trick is to get them full, but not so full that they rupture. Takes a bit of practice, but you get the hang of it pretty fast.

Usually, you just grind up the raw meat, add salts (no need to brine first), and the seasonings, plus a bit of water, and mix it all up. We ground it in the grinder, tossed it into the mixer bowl, and stirred it up, then popped it up to the stuffer.

If you brined it, then leave out any salt or curing salts. You've already got plenty in there, more will just curdle your tongue when you try to eat it.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
My boss at the chicken farm gives me a bunch of chicken breasts almost every week..I like the darker meat better, theighs, legs and wings.So i make breakfast sausage patties with the breast.
Since it would be so dry, i grind the chicken skin and fat with the breast fillets.I also grind a few potatoes and onions as well.If its to mushy, i add enough bread crumbs to form patties.Sometimes i use pre-mixed breakfast sausage spices or just black pepper and sage.I form patties ,freeze on cookie sheet, then store in zippie freezer bags.It's not your ordinary breakfast sausage, but i like them..:) I just take one out of the freezer and cook slowly, in a covered fry pan.I have also done the same with sausage links, but patties are easier, less work, than links

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did manage to get my hands on some pork casing so I'm gonna try my hand at it just for funzies. Oh, and the reason I brined him was at first I was entertaining the idea of roasting him till I found a nice cheap local source for casing.
Mashed potato in a suasage...I REALLY like the idea!! I'd prolly take it one step further and wrap it in biscuit dough so it could be an on the go breakfast!

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
There ya go mamaluv, your own chicken MacSausage in a biscuit....lol..I never tried mashed potatoes, i grind some chicken , then grind some potatoe and onion, then more chicken, like that...they make a great breakfast patties with a few fried eggs and slice of toast..

Latest posts