Any wisdom on cutting your own hair?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I mostly cut my own hair, and the rest of the family's as well. Last time I got a hair cut in a salon was 3 years ago.

My hair is long so its pretty easy, and if I'm not feeling in the mood much I ask hubby to trim it for me, he does a pretty good job.

I must admit I studied cosmetology and did a full apprentiship :hide I had my original scissors for dang near 15 years before hubby decided to use them as a friggin screwdriver!!!

Get the best scissors you can afford, with the tiny little grooves on the one blade, you shoudl be able to run your finger along the inside of one blade and feel the tiny little ridges, like a comb almost. (Those hold the hair so it doesn't bunch up and slide to the end of the scissors as you cut.

I hold the scissors with one hole on my thumb and one on my ring finger, then the two fingers in front can keep the scissors firm.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
"Any wisdom on cutting your own hair?"

I have a torch and I work cheap. :ep :frow :lol: :gig

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I cut my own at times (when Im broke),...but I would NEVER cut anyone elses. It doesn't matter how bad I mess up mine,...it's naturally curly and you can never tell. ;)

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
"Any wisdom on cutting your own hair?"

I have a torch and I work cheap. :ep :frow :lol: :gig
Thanks, SKR8PN. I have some dogs I might borrow your expertise for.
(...oh, did I say that out loud?:lol:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The best advice I have is to go slow and just try it. If you make a mistake, don't try to keep evening it up...this leads to really short hair and much crying. I know....once had some very bald little boys from doing this. :p

Each time you try it you will get better and better at it. The hair cutting books can be helpful but it's much harder to put them into practice...in a mirror...where everything is backwards...... :barnie

And...like previously stated...the difference between a good one and a bad one is 2-3 wks. ;)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
When mine was really long (down by my waist) I could trim the ends by just flipping my head over and trimming about 1/2 inch or so. Being so long, and the way it fell when I was "upside down" I not only couldn't really make a mistake, but it also gave the "long, layered" look. Not sure how long yours is, but I would say the same as others, a little at a time.

Three years ago coming this January 5, I decided to go to a salon and have it all cut off.....yep, down to 1/2 inch all over my head. Figured I could spike it up, it would be low maintenance, blah blah blah. THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING I EVER DID. It has taken 2 1/2 years to grow it out to just below my shoulders. And let me tell ya, I had one heck of a nigtmare til that point!!! SO that is my horror story, haha.

As for styles, I'd say look to your facial structure. Find something that flatters your face. When I did the short hair style, I looked like a guy.....not cool.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Measure twice, cut once! Oh wait, that's for something else.

Measure lots of times and cut just a little each time! :D

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been cutting my own hair for years, with a trip to a hairdresser every couple of years or so just to even it out. However, now that I'm :old
my hair is getting thin and very fine. And I keep getting it shorter and shorter - if I keep this up I'll be a crazy little bald chicken lady.:hide

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, advice from a former HAIR DRESSER. Dont so it unless you are only trimming off the littleist bit. Cut it wet and dont cut your bangs any shorter than your eye brows because they WILL shrink up. If you want to trim the length have someone else do it. Its really hard to see the back of your head. If you have something else in mind like layers, etc go to the salon. I cut my own hair but Im trained and my hair is curly so its more forgiving. DONT buy the scissors with the blade that looks like a comb, they are for thinning not cutting. I use the gold Conair scissors from Walmart. I think they are like $8. They are fine for home use, if you use longer ones you may cut your fingers. But yes, they do need to be SHARP.

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I havent paid for a hair cut in years. I have long hair, and I cut it when I start to see dead ends. I cut it to just below shoulder length.

I flip my head, tie my hair at the very top of my head and just cut in a straight line with scissors.

Take my hair out of the tie and inspect. I cut off the spots I missed, and I get nice even layers.

Friends and family have never said a word to me, and when I told my mother and best friend who are both hairdressers that I cut my own hair they wouldnt believe me. They didnt understand why I would lie about something like that, but it took a bit of convincing and the confirmation from the hubby to convince them lol.

Good luck, its not hard, and it saves a bundle over time.