Anybody here used fishbone meal for phosphorus?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Because we got small fruit returns with tomatoes and squash this year, we did some recent soil tests. Nitrogen was adequate, potassium was very good, and we'd supplemented this past spring for calcium and general micronutrients. According to the tests, phosphorus was quite low.

So we've decided to definitely supplement more deliberately next year. In the past we've used phosphate rock granules or powder as our main way of supplementing phosphorus. But I was talking to the manager of one of the local feed & fertilizer sources here in our area, and he's recommending fishbone meal for phosphorus - 22% phosphorus, and he says much more quickly available to the plants than with the rock powder or granules.

I wonder how it's worked out for people. And also what I'm wondering is whether people who have used it are finding that, once it's in the soil, it attracts dogs, cats or (worse) bears?

If you've got some experience, let me know.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you really want to get back to nature and save yourself some money, pee is full of phosphorous (and potassium and nitrogen). Dilute it by 50%, store it in gallon milk jugs with a screw-on cap, use is ASAP, and your plants will be happy. I don't use it on small plants or seeds, but I use it on annuals that are mature, and all perennials.

Be careful you aren't getting "fishbone meal" mixed up with something like oyster shell powder, because the pH will mess with the pH in your soil. Also, bonemeal can take almost 6 months to break down and interact enough with everything else in the soil before the plant roots can uptake it, so it's not something that can help in the short-run.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have used pee before, and was very happy with the result. It also tends to chase a lot of animals away- especially if you are using it regularly; they can tell if it's been a while, and apparently they figger there's nobody around if the scent is old.
If my compost pile starts to get a little to 'cool'... some urine will start it working again in no time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never heard of it myself, but I suspect you might have some problems with dogs and cats etc. I know I did when I used blood meal one year.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Because we got small fruit returns with tomatoes and squash this year, we did some recent soil tests. Nitrogen was adequate, potassium was very good, and we'd supplemented this past spring for calcium and general micronutrients. According to the tests, phosphorus was quite low.

So we've decided to definitely supplement more deliberately next year. In the past we've used phosphate rock granules or powder as our main way of supplementing phosphorus. But I was talking to the manager of one of the local feed & fertilizer sources here in our area, and he's recommending fishbone meal for phosphorus - 22% phosphorus, and he says much more quickly available to the plants than with the rock powder or granules.

I wonder how it's worked out for people. And also what I'm wondering is whether people who have used it are finding that, once it's in the soil, it attracts dogs, cats or (worse) bears?

If you've got some experience, let me know.
Joel I have used fish meal and bone meal in the past but I have never heard of fishbone meal Just where would the source of fish bones be? Fish meal uses all the waste from fish guts trimmings bones you name it. Bone meal used to do the same for animals before Mad Cow disease came along. Animal Bone meal was not considered to be a good thing anymore and many awiched to fish meal and the price of fish meal skyrocketed.
Do you trust this dealer? The number he is quoting seems unlikely Bone meal usually runs 4-12-0 which is a big jump from 22% and Plants can only get phosphorus from bone meal if the soil pH is below 7.0, according to recent Colorado State University research.
Are you sure it is phosphorus that your soil needs? The EPA is pushing to have phosphorus redused in bag lawn fertilizer on the basis that most of it lust runs off to polute the water City waste water plants con't remove it.
SHORT ANSWER I have NO experience with it and I strongly recommend that you research before spending.
[I used to buy fish meal for my duck treats They loved it but when the price took off I told them to catch their own] ~gd

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the sensible thoughts and advice, ~gd. I guess I've heard references all my life to how fish contain high amounts of phosphorus in their bodies. As bones in mammals contain a lot of phosphorus along with calcium and magnesium, I can also imagine that the bones of fish might contain more P than mammalian bones. I've read that seabird guano has a much higher P content than bat guano (and of course seabirds generally eat fish).

So, with all that background info cooking in my mind, it was not hard for me to accept the analysis that has been expressed for this fishbone meal. But your advice to do a little info search on my own before purchasing is good.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Thanks for the sensible thoughts and advice, ~gd. I guess I've heard references all my life to how fish contain high amounts of phosphorus in their bodies. As bones in mammals contain a lot of phosphorus along with calcium and magnesium, I can also imagine that the bones of fish might contain more P than mammalian bones. I've read that seabird guano has a much higher P content than bat guano (and of course seabirds generally eat fish).

So, with all that background info cooking in my mind, it was not hard for me to accept the analysis that has been expressed for this fishbone meal. But your advice to do a little info search on my own before purchasing is good.
Yep I buy all your arguements. I just doubt the existance of fishbone meal. Both fish meal and oil are in high demand the bones can easily be converted to fish meal/oil so where do the fish bones come from? If you buy it let us know how it works out. I will be the guy sprinkling automatic dishwasher powder in my garden in the fall.~gd

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
GD, what's in the dishwasher detergent? (I'm thinking phosphorus, but could be wrong) I've never heard of anyone using that B4. And, how do you know how much to use?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
GD, what's in the dishwasher detergent? (I'm thinking phosphorus, but could be wrong) I've never heard of anyone using that B4. And, how do you know how much to use?
usually about 4% PhosPATES. i don't know how much to use gardening is not an exact science All I know is that if the pH is higher than7.0 I am wasting time and materials.I am NOT Organic so I could use Super phospate if needed.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe I need to start using it to see if it will keep the stupid groundhog away. :somad