Anybody make their own puppy training pads?

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a chihuahua and have been in the habit of using pee-pee pads that we buy in bulk on eBay. We pay $80 for about 600 of them, which has lasted about 5 months. I would like to cut the cost and I feel badly about how much garbage we produce and would like to reduce.

Any suggestions for how to make our own?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Could you place plastic runner or drop cloth, fastened down to the floor under where you place your pads, to prevent soak-through~and then just use some homemade absorbant cloth ones? Some recycled old towels would be excellent for this! :)

BTW... :welcome

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Maybe you could ask at a local nursing home and see if they have any cloth pee pads that they are going to throw away that you could repair and use.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
when I house break a pup we used old floor tiles and newspaper. Place the flooring and newspaper in the area where we wanted the pup to go.Easy clean up and didn't have to worry about my floor.
You can usually get some scrap flooring for a store that installs and sells flooring or buy a smaller cheap piece at Walmart or Home Depot.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
train the pup to go outside.
an indoor dog surely must be able to learn how to go on a schedule. I never had indoor dogs ever but Bees suggestion is what I would kinda say, plastic then a towel. that way you can wash and not send so much to the landfill......I am the same way. I hate disposable things mainly. Such a money waste and environment waste.

But train that pup to stop peeing in the house..LOL-LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is a dog that stays in the home alone while folks are away? This is the only reason I could think of that one would still be using puppy pads at 5 months of age, unless this pup is taking his own time about learning to go outside?

I'm with you on this one, Farmer Chick, I train my animals to go outside, but I could see the importance of going in one place if this is an inside dog who cannot get outside when they need to go.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was thinking of them being gone and pup being at home. Also if they didn't catch him in time before he started to go. I try to watch a pup close. Usually within a couple of weeks (depending on the dog and it's age.) they will start to let you know.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL BEE
never having indoor critters I guess they do stay home at alone for long periods of time.

My SIL has agility dogs that she trains and such........she puts them in crates in the house and garage at night. They never pee in there, I guess?????? I don't know....for me, never have to worry about a pee problem..HA HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My nephew and his girlfriend got a Chi pup and left it in a room in their new place for 2 wks while they were away....a friend was supposed to be checking on him and letting him out for bathroom breaks. He didn't. They didn't even have enough smarts to put down anything, either. The dog pooped and peed all over the new carpeting! Come to find out they have never instituted any kind of potty training anyway and the dog is allowed to mess where ever he goes in the house! :th

Enter...my son, Joel, who is staying with them in WY until he can get a place of his own. Guess what room he gets? Yeah, the toilet- for- the- dog- room! So they go to work each day and leave the dog in Joel's room and he comes home each night to clean up their doggie's doo-doo....the pee just soaks into the carpeting. :sick

Of course, Mom(aka~ME) went into a tizzy over this setup and demanded they get a crate and start training the dog immediately!!! Joel says this has been much better....I would say so! DUH!

Can you imagine the smell? The idea of walking around on soaked in Chi pee? Joel is usually very fastidious about his living conditions but he can't say much in this case, as he is living there under their charity (paying part of the house payment, though) until he finds a place of his own.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No I can't go their with your poor son! :)
I could not stand that for one minute!

I would make the new toilet room the nephew and girlfriends bedroom.....it is their mutt and let them have the smell...HA HA

I hear ya...when you live with anyone you are in their home but geez, come on, OK....dog pee to that level (and poo)---YIKES

I don't know how people can stand that honestly. It would make my skin crawl like there is no tomorrow..LOL

Plus it is your home. Does anyone not have any pride in their home? Your home is usually the biggest and most expensive thing you will ever own in your life. Why would you let that happen in your most precious equity? I sure wouldn't. And the next owners, hmm...nothing like dog pee soaked thru the padding to the floor boards. Try to get that out! Ugh....I would walk in and faint from that smell.

I can tell a person has a cat in the house a million miles away..HA HA....my SIL's houise even though perfectly spotless and the cat area is super clean....I know that cat smell anywhere..HA HA