Anybody raising chicks this Spring?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm waiting for some breeders to get ready for me now.. :) First up is some Andalusian hatchings from a man in Newry, then some blue (Indian Game) Cornish from Cork, or again Newry and some OEG (LF) from a breeder in England. I'm looking forward to hatching and raising them all!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Only if I have a broody hen. I raised more pullets than I needed last spring, but did not cull any b/c they were all REAL NICE pullets. So... I wintered more birds than I wanted to. But, I sold 14 dozen eggs last week, so... I guess I can't complain. If I get a broody, I will have to sell some birds!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice. I like your heat source. I've often wondered if one could use a hair dryer or other such piece of equipment for the heat source.

Hubby and I built 2 bators. The first was foam with bimetal thermostat. The second was a large picnic cooler with digital thermostat. Both have computer fans, and use 2 x 40W light bulbs as a heat source. I had a heck of a time with managing warm/cold spots in the second bator, so ended up finishing the incubation without the fan. I hand turn, with eggs in cartons which are tilted to turn them until day 14, then finish turning with them laying flat. Hatch rate has averaged 90 - 95%. #1 bator comfortably holds 18 eggs, while #2 bator will handle 24.

I use a MHP brooder and brood incubated chicks outdoors.

Sure is a lot easier to use a broody!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would love to do some Cornish rocks this fall. Need to fill my pantry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping to pic up a few chicks next weekend at a poultry show. I cleaned out the broody coop today and will move hens into it in the next few days. I have enough broody silkies to take my pick.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Every spring! But, just those produced here and brooded via hen. I like three of your choices, BB, and LOVE two of those I like. That's quite a flock size!

What breed or breeds will you source your males from?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I ordered males from each breed. I really want a good Dominique male, and a good White Rock male. However, I'm mainly waiting to see who rises to the top with a good build, and able to forage the girls well. Buff Orpington roosters are not my favorite, but that breed usually is more broody than any other dual purpose. I'd be willing to keep one around if he possessed the other traits too. I had a RIR/BO cross about 10 years ago that was the best rooster ever. He cared for those hens like a mother cares for her children.

I've also got a good young rooster in my flock now that I might keep.

From my current flock, I have a bunch of useless Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are headed to the pantry soon. I'll probably keep my Easter Eggers, and the Buff Orpington hens that I still have.

I'm renovating my coop and making some useful improvements soon to prepare for the new chickens. My job has been so stressful getting started that until this last few weeks I have not been able to really plan or think about much.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just letting my hens do whatever they want to do this year. But I love my Dominiques, they're my absolute favorite breed. Where are you getting your chicks from?