Anyone build a Purple Martin House?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am thinking of building a Purple Martin House - we have the perfect place for them with alot of wide open fields. There were alot of Purple martins looking for nesting sites at our place this summer.
Anyone have any experience building a 2 or 3 story condo?
Any hints on how to make a pole that will allow me to lower the house for cleaning and housekeeping?

Any helpful comments and suggestions are welcome

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry...not much help here. My neighbors have lots, but they're purchased. My mother-in-law was gifted a bird feeder once that was mounted on an inverted L-shaped pole and was equipped with a pulley system to raise and lower it. Don't see why that wouldn't work for a martin house.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dad went on a bird house building jag a few years ago. (he's now 94 y.o.!) One of the most useful (IMO) poles he made for his Martin house and other designs was a large diameter PVC pole set between 2 x 4 uprights that were then anchored in concrete. A couple holes were drilled, and large diameter bolts were screwed through the PVC and 2 x 4's to secure the pole. Then, all you have to do to access the house is pull the top bolt, and the post pivots down on the lower bolt. You could use large diameter galvanized electrical conduit instead of the PVC, or even a 2 x 4 or larger to accomplish the same thing.

I really need to put some of his bird houses up. Hubby does not like to mow around obstacles, so that is a bit of a dilemma about where to put them!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've built a few martin houses. About the only important things are the height off ground, near a water source like a pond, the size of the door hole and the size of the compartment.

Secondary importance is that it can be taken apart for cleaning. If I recall correctly it needs to be cleaned out every winter, so they build fresh nests come spring.

Let me look around for plans or pictures.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad went on a bird house building jag a few years ago. (he's now 94 y.o.!) One of the most useful (IMO) poles he made for his Martin house and other designs was a large diameter PVC pole set between 2 x 4 uprights that were then anchored in concrete. A couple holes were drilled, and large diameter bolts were screwed through the PVC and 2 x 4's to secure the pole. Then, all you have to do to access the house is pull the top bolt, and the post pivots down on the lower bolt. You could use large diameter galvanized electrical conduit instead of the PVC, or even a 2 x 4 or larger to accomplish the same thing.

I really need to put some of his bird houses up. Hubby does not like to mow around obstacles, so that is a bit of a dilemma about where to put them!

I like that lever method.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dad's 20 foot flagpole was made as a lever also. He had metal instead of PVC and wood. If I remember correctly, the center pole was about 3 1/2 -4" in diameter. The side posts were similar to I beams, with flat sides on each side of the center pole (think of an I beam, but with the top and bottom bars only extended on one side). These were cemented into the ground. Holes drilled through all for two long carriage style bolts. Remove one to lower the center pole. Two held it upright.

He had a pulley system to raise and lower the flag, but if he had to change the rope (which rotted every 5 years or so) or if the flag got caught on something, he'd remove one bolt, lower the pole, fix whatever needed to be fixed, and raise it back up.
I believe my grandmother's Martin house was on a similar post to make cleaning, painting, and repairs easier.
My grandmother's house was built like a 3 story apartment. I believe the front and back panels could be removed for easy cleaning.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am thinking of building a Purple Martin House - we have the perfect place for them with alot of wide open fields. There were alot of Purple martins looking for nesting sites at our place this summer.
Anyone have any experience building a 2 or 3 story condo?
Any hints on how to make a pole that will allow me to lower the house for cleaning and housekeeping?

Any helpful comments and suggestions are welcome
We don't have those breeds of birds here. But I think this will work with other kinds of birds... If it does, I will surely create one as well. :D:D:D

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
they are so much fun to watch flying! :)

they would at times come through and fly and then perch on the sill above my patio door which i look out much of the day.