Anyone Do Home Meat Processing?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Acre of Blessings said:
For $200 I would buy it and then set it up in the yard the way you would like it to be in a building and then measure around it. This way you would know how much room you would need.

Not sure why I can't find deals like that hmm:/
Excellent idea.

Now, I'll have to start looking for a large cooler, and a freezer, and a smoker, and a... :)

Lately we've had a run of good luck on finding deals. We just found a working Brunswick Panatrope (crank phonograph) on Craigslist. We had one when we were first married and had to sell it, when we moved to a smaller house. Our original one didn't even work, and the cabinet wasn't near as nice as this one, yet we paid half as much as we sold the old one for.

We also came across great deals on a 10hp chipper/shredder and a Rigid 18v power tool set, and were given a fifty ft. tower (for my Ham Radio hobby).:D

I guess that I owe it all to clean living, and personal integrity. Well ok, it's probably more likely that I just look pitiful and people feel sorry for me. :rolleyes:

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
My wife and I have been discussing adding an outbuilding just to do our own meat processing. Mainly it would be for deer, but also for hogs, chickens, etc. As of our last discussion, we were were talking about a small building (about 12x16) with a screened, concrete patio area attached for killing, scalding, plucking, etc.

We have an offer of a meat saw (looks kinda like a band saw) with a sausage stuffer, meat grinder, meat mixer, and a couple of scales at a really good price.

We would be starting as complete beginners. Does anyone here do this, and if so, can you offer any suggestions, opinions on cost/benefits, etc., to help us decide if we really want to do this? Would a 12x16 building be sufficient?
Is the screened porch included in the size or in addition to? I think the 12x16 is perfectly fine. Plan it well. Are you putting your freezer, cooler?, smioker? in that room also? If that is the case then you might want to consider 4-8 more feet one way. Remember, (I know you will) adjust in increments that your lumber comes in.

Habitat For Humanity will be a place to get counter tops and some cupboards......if you have one around those parts.

Do you deer hunt? Do send out to process? How much does it cost you to have it processed? Do you cull your own chickens? Whose cows and hogs would you be butchering? I think you need to answer these questions to get your answers. I think the 12x16 is a good start. :)

Latest posts