Anyone dry flowers or herbs for selling?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
With the price people are paying for dried herbs, this may be a profitable niche market- oregano grows like a weed so why is it so expensive in the stores?
The main problems would be knowing your climate zones and what you can grow in bulk, picking an herb that can air dry in bulk in your area (I've heard attics are good for this) and finding inexpensive packaging.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Went to the library today and stopped several times along the rode to snip fall flowers for drying. Lovely heather, white, and gold shades to incorporate into wreaths and baskets. Even stopped at the local gas station that has a lovely bed full of mixed zinnias and begged a few!

Am going to attempt to dry some of the flowers using Borax, as described in some of the books on this subject. They say it is hard to dry sunflowers, as they are so thick and meaty, but I am going to try. I grew some of the most lovely russet, crimson and gold varieties this year and I would love to see how they dry out. I am also going to dry some of my corn husks in a protected place this year and see if I can incorporate them into some fall wreaths.

I'll try to post pics of the finished products, but keep in mind I've never done anything like this before! May turn out looking ridiculous or contrived. We'll see!

Anyone else make homemade gifts for Christmas? What do you make, usually? Make your own live wreaths, swags and mantel boughs? I get so excited for Christmas and love gathering pine cones, boughs, etc. for making natural decorations.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Beekissed do you recall the results of your flower drying? I have considered getting into dried flowers. (First I need the flowers to grow... :rolleyes:)