Anyone Else Currently Homeschooling?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think ODD and counterwill overlap. However, counterwill is normal. Its normal for children to refuse commands from people they're not bonded to. It's a survival instinct. When the bond between child and caretaker is weak, the child will naturally resist taking commands. Other childhood problems like ADHD (or any of the other causes of similar symptoms) stress the relationship and counterwill is a natural consequence.

The treatment is to reduce demand, foster the relationship, and seek treatment for underlying attachment disorders. Reducing deman is difficult within a school setting, and fostering the relationship is difficult when there's so much tension.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My sons are adopted and two of them have RAD which means one of them can't bond to anyone and the other the one the school couldn't (wouldn't) deal with could live without me. The 15 year old is just in the throes of teenage rebellion now. He's 15 going on 35 or so he thinks.

Yes, why is it that kids do so much better for anyone else, lol. People talk about my polite, sweet, helpful boys and I just shake my head in disbelief.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
People talk about my polite, sweet, helpful boys and I just shake my head in disbelief.

We always have a big dinner at the end of our summer session for our kids. We call it a Recognition Dinner and we recognize all the kids who have been exceptional for the year. Among other awards, we give a Mr. and Ms. Manners. I'll never forget the year that we called out a young man's name and his mama 'bout fainted, lol. Mr. Manners for MY son - I think you've got the wrong kid! Right then and there she raised the bar and told that young man that if he could be that good in public that she expected better from him at home.

I don't think he was really happy with that award, lol!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yes, why is it that kids do so much better for anyone else, lol. People talk about my polite, sweet, helpful boys and I just shake my head in disbelief.
#metoo! Thankfully I'm seeing good behavior at home too now, but through the worst of it he was awful at home and perfect gentlemen elsewhere. :barnie

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My kids are between the ages of 30 and 12 and it was the same for them all, lol.

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I educate at home! I have zero other friends who do :/ (something about not having the patience..LOL). My son is 10 and daughter is 3. He was in public school for kindergarten and that was it, we have been homeschooling since then..just us.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have any friends that homeschool either but I live in an area with a lot of home schoolers and groups. DD is 5 and most of the groups start around 6 so we'll be busy next year probably! She takes one class now for homeschoolers that she loves (fiber arts). Otherwise we stay busy on our own too!

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The area I live in has a few homeschoolers, and there is one co-op, but we don't fit in with it. At least he has been in cub scouts this whole time and getting ready for his first year of boy scouts. I wish more people would be less afraid to give home education a try (though it isn't for everyone and I do feel public schools are important still). I briefly contemplated starting up my own homeschool group, so that if you didn't fit with the one, you had another option to try. It was a fleeting thought LOL.