1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendars- ORDER NOW!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Featured Thread: What's your fav. deer rifle?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Else Currently Homeschooling?

Discussion in 'Family Life' started by tortoise, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Feb 6, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I think ODD and counterwill overlap. However, counterwill is normal. Its normal for children to refuse commands from people they're not bonded to. It's a survival instinct. When the bond between child and caretaker is weak, the child will naturally resist taking commands. Other childhood problems like ADHD (or any of the other causes of similar symptoms) stress the relationship and counterwill is a natural consequence.

The treatment is to reduce demand, foster the relationship, and seek treatment for underlying attachment disorders. Reducing deman is difficult within a school setting, and fostering the relationship is difficult when there's so much tension.

2. Feb 6, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That sounds tough....

3. Feb 7, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Almost Self-Reliant

My sons are adopted and two of them have RAD which means one of them can't bond to anyone and the other the one the school couldn't (wouldn't) deal with could live without me. The 15 year old is just in the throes of teenage rebellion now. He's 15 going on 35 or so he thinks.

Yes, why is it that kids do so much better for anyone else, lol. People talk about my polite, sweet, helpful boys and I just shake my head in disbelief.

tortoise likes this.
  4. Feb 7, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

We always have a big dinner at the end of our summer session for our kids. We call it a Recognition Dinner and we recognize all the kids who have been exceptional for the year. Among other awards, we give a Mr. and Ms. Manners. I'll never forget the year that we called out a young man's name and his mama 'bout fainted, lol. Mr. Manners for MY son - I think you've got the wrong kid! Right then and there she raised the bar and told that young man that if he could be that good in public that she expected better from him at home.

I don't think he was really happy with that award, lol!

tortoise and lcertuche like this.
  5. Feb 7, 2017
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Almost Self-Reliant

Haha! That's great!

6. Feb 8, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

#metoo! Thankfully I'm seeing good behavior at home too now, but through the worst of it he was awful at home and perfect gentlemen elsewhere. :barnie

7. Feb 10, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Almost Self-Reliant

My kids are between the ages of 30 and 12 and it was the same for them all, lol.