Anyone else have a Kindle?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I love me my Kindle!

Anyone else have one? I realize they are not exactly self sufficient but there are a lot of books available about self sufficiency and gosh, we all use our internet every day, don't we?

So far I've had mine since October and downloaded over 100 books, many of them free, including two versions of the Bible. I enjoyed rereading the entire Clan of the Cave Bear series on the kindle, and many of these books are huge and fat and would fill an entire shelf if I had the hardbound versions. Meanwhile all these fit in my purse!

But my favorite feature is that I can change the font size instead of putting on reading glasses.

Anyone else have one and care to discuss books available on Kindle?

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Maybe not "self sufficient" but certainly waste-saving. Although I *love* to hold and feel a book, I downloaded Kindle onto my laptop (free from Amazon) and I LOVE it too! It is a great alternative. So far I've mostly gotten free books, plus one textbook for school... check out the Gutenberg Project, they have hundreds of classics for free download... I'll try to find my link.

Here it is... http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Yes, I have gone through that library as well.

I actually prefer reading on my Kindle to a regular book. I did not expect that at all. I don't lose my place, the book does not flop closed accidentely and I don't have to reorient my lighting or whatever when I turn pages and switch sides.

I joined "kindle review" and they send updates on the free books available through Amazon. I have not even made a dent in that list!

But I have not found many of the free books to be too great except the old classics of course.

This one left a good impression http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Woman...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have Kindle, Nook, and Google Books apps on my Android phone, so I have the best of all the e-readers. So far I like Google Books app most as I can blow up the print larger.

I would argue it is in fact a sort of self sufficiency. Nothing like carrying a library in your pocket.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Let me know how you like it. I really enjoy the book review feature at Amazon. Also the "try one chapter" idea. I find that after reading one chapter, there are a lot of books I have NOT bought. I think they believe it is a marketing tool, but I've found it to be more of an "unmarketing" tool.

I'll try a lot of different types of book but won't finish them if they do not capture my interest well enough. So Kindle is great for me, no books to get rid of!

I'm A Gardener :)

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use my mom's kindle sometimes :lol: I LOVE reading off of it!!!

Can you share books with family and friends/send them to another kindle?

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Let me know how you like it. I really enjoy the book review feature at Amazon. Also the "try one chapter" idea. I find that after reading one chapter, there are a lot of books I have NOT bought. I think they believe it is a marketing tool, but I've found it to be more of an "unmarketing" tool.

I'll try a lot of different types of book but won't finish them if they do not capture my interest well enough. So Kindle is great for me, no books to get rid of!
My daughter has one and loves it. She prefers it over the nook because of the battery system. The nook has a prettier screen but has to be recharged constantly per what she says.

I quoted on this because of the one chapter thing. I used to read the one chapter in the back of new books. I stopped doing it because I would go to start a new book and it would all sound so familiar to me. Then I wasn't so sure if I had already read it or not. I hate getting a few chapters in to a book and realizing I have already read it. The font feature sounds like a great feature. I guess I'll have to check out my DD's a little closer next time she visits.

Amazon has great service on them too. DD's had some of the marking coming off on the most used keys and they sent her a new one without even requiring the old be returned first. She just printed a return ticket and put it in the same box and dropped in the mailbox since it's so light.

I hope I'm talking about the right one and don't have the nook and kindle reversed.:/

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm A Gardener :) said:
Can you share books with family and friends/send them to another kindle?
You can with Nook, I know.

I love my Nook :)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love LOVE LOVE my Kindle. I bought a cover for it that opens like a book, so I still have the feel of a book. It's great to take on vacation - fits better in my bag than an armload of books (and not so heavy). They have come up with a sharing feature recently, but I haven't tried it yet. And I love the "Read to Me" feature for when I am driving - or busy in the kitchen.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I do think the sharing feature is new, at first it did not have it. Or perhaps they are still working the bugs out, I have not shared any e-books. I don't have many books to share, because most of mine were the free ones.

The free books seem to rotate around however so I've been grabbing them when they come up and I get reminded about it by "Kindle review".

The battery lasts me about a month. I'm sure it is the Kindle with the long battery life, Dunkoph, because it only uses energy when you are turning the page, not when it is just sittng there. And if you are inactive for 10 minutes, it turns itself off.

Another book that I read on my Kindle that might be interesting to SS ladies is called "Divanomics". Kinda written from a rich girl turned poor attitude, but it had some good moments.

Latest posts