Anyone else have a Kindle?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I did not know Kindle made a color version. I thought mine was the latest version (it only came out in August and we bought my mom one in Dec).

I am quite satisfied with the battery life on mine. When the battery is getting low, it gives you about an hour warning. If you sit near an electric plug, you can even charge it while you are still reading and I did not find it awkward. If you leave the internet turned on it uses the battery faster, but you only need to turn it on when you are downloading books.

I do not use the kindle to surf the internet, too slow and too small, but would enjoy a color feature for certain books. How much is the color version? I'll have to look that up.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have the black & white version. I prefer the longer battery life - mine lasts about a month, and I leave it on all the time (with the whispernet off). If I want to see something in color, I view it on my PC Kindle.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I find I do my shopping for books on the PC....it is just so much faster.

Does anyone here review the books at Amazon? I like to review them if they don't have any review at all or if I really liked them or really hated them.

I find the feature of being able to read the reviews really helps me select books I would enjoy.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i think i'm just about sold on the whole thing.. glad you are enjoying it!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, these little things sound kinda cool. I had no idea. Maybe I'll get one for DH for father's day this year.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey java!

off topic: its too cold to go outside and milk so i'm putting it off.

yikes!
;-)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And I hate our weatherman now. I didn't even bother trying to milk out the 2 tablespoons today - just tossed the grain in the pen and let them fight it out. It's too cold and not worth it today.

So - I had no idea you do this Kindle stuff on the computer - if I read that right? I could test-drive the software?

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Javamama, I have the Kindle on my pc, not the separate handheld gadget... I downloaded mine free from Amazon. If you google free kindle downloads you can find lots of stuff, but some is mediocre-quality; occasionally I'll come across what I consider to be a rare find.

eBooks are very inexpensive if you want detailed info on some particular topic, and my university gave us links to a variety of places where I could purchase textbooks at a fraction of the already-hugely-inflated prices... not sure I like the textbook idea yet, I tried it with one, and though it's nice at particular times, I still like to write in my books. :duc (no, I didn't just say that!)

Paula

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also, once you purchase books (or download free books) through your Amazon account, they are accessible from whatever devices you have linked to that account. So you can try out e-books on your computer or phone (some smart phones have Kindle apps), and then if you decide to get a Kindle later, those books will be accessible on the Kindle as well.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have read some books online and don't like having to sit at the computer chair. I really prefer to be able to take my "book" to a comfy chair and kick up my heels when I read.

I like reading on the kindle, so light, so easy to change pages and see the pages. It is spoiling me for reading "real" books and I was worried it would be the other way around. I do have the carry case/cover thangy, but I take it out to read as I like to hold the smaller item.