Anyone else have a Kindle?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also, once you purchase books (or download free books) through your Amazon account, they are accessible from whatever devices you have linked to that account. So you can try out e-books on your computer or phone (some smart phones have Kindle apps), and then if you decide to get a Kindle later, those books will be accessible on the Kindle as well.
Well that's pretty cool. I don't think I would have trouble adjusting to the electronic format - I find myself trying to use a mouse to turn the page of real books sometimes :lol: (I know you don't use a mouse with Kindle, lol)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have enjoyed reading real books for so long I really doubted I was going to like reading my Kindle at all, but it was a gift.

I was SOOOOO wrong.

I meant to add this link:
http://ireaderreview.com/

Those folks are real helpful in finding the right free books. If you sign up for the e-mail announcements, it gives you a link direct to Amazon on any new free offer or low-cost offers and deals. I check it out every day and usually download a new book about every other day based on their suggestions. They are not partial to any author or genre and include everything available on Kindle.

Dragonwriter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I love me my Kindle!

Anyone else have one? I realize they are not exactly self sufficient but there are a lot of books available about self sufficiency and gosh, we all use our internet every day, don't we?

So far I've had mine since October and downloaded over 100 books, many of them free, including two versions of the Bible. I enjoyed rereading the entire Clan of the Cave Bear series on the kindle, and many of these books are huge and fat and would fill an entire shelf if I had the hardbound versions. Meanwhile all these fit in my purse!

But my favorite feature is that I can change the font size instead of putting on reading glasses.

Anyone else have one and care to discuss books available on Kindle?
I have a Kobo, same idea, but the screen is not backlit. That's the only thing I wish was different.
My question though is this, are there any self sufficiency books available in an e-reader format? I know Carla emery's classic "Encyclopedia of Country Living" is out there. I have that and enjoy reading that on the bus. There has to be more out there.

Any suggestions?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
So far I've been working my way through the free books, not too many on that topic in the free section.

And the kindle is not back-lit. You need light to read it. They said that the backlighting caused eye strain with long term readers and this is designed to look just like a page in a book, which, of course, takes light to see. That is why some of the kindle covers have lights built in.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
So far I've been working my way through the free books, not too many on that topic in the free section.

And the kindle is not back-lit. You need light to read it. They said that the backlighting caused eye strain with long term readers and this is designed to look just like a page in a book, which, of course, takes light to see. That is why some of the kindle covers have lights built in.
I have the Kindle cover with the built in light. Helps a lot and I can read in bed without disturbing DH.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have the kindle "kandle" light and honestly, it is heavy and makes the kindle weigh more and is only a way to light the screen a little more, not read in the dark.