Anyone else having MAJOR financial problems?

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you tried getting grants for your sons college education? My dd got several grants and didn't have to pay hardly anything for her education. Worth a try. Ask your schools financial dept.
They helped her find grants.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
coopy said:
Have you tried getting grants for your sons college education? My dd got several grants and didn't have to pay hardly anything for her education. Worth a try. Ask your schools financial dept.
They helped her find grants.
Yes, actually we did get grants. The college is 18,000 a year and I only had to pay 3500.00. When you look at it like that, it's an awesome deal, but when you look at it as you are totally broke, then that 3500.00 looks like a million.

My husband and I talked and we still have a few things we can do to save money if we need to. We can go to burning wood for heat if needed because his dad owns lots of land that we can cut trees on. We don't want to unless we have to but at least it's an option.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep, things are super-tight in my house. My DBF and I between us have about $40,000 in credit card debt, not to mention back IRS to the tune of about $10,000. I know abusing credit is foolish, but there it is.

We moved out of the city and into a beautiful home in the country on 5 acres so I could have chickens and he could make lots of noise on his guitar (it's part of his job to do so). That was back in September. The rent on this place is $250 less per month than our city place, and there are not places to eat out around here (to speak of), so our food bill has dropped hugely. But I was unable to find work as a nanny close to home so I've had to begin commuting about 3 - 4 hours per day which costs about $300 per month.

My job as a nanny is paying really well as I've been doing it for 15 years now and can ask for $20 an hour, but my DBF had just started his own business when the economy really started to crash and it's just never picked up. Every month is worse than the last. I love that he's doing what he loves to do, so I don't want to see that end, but it's rough not making enough money to pay the bills each month.

This month marked a new level of financial difficulty. I've had to cancel my bank's auto-payments for all of my credit cards because if I don't, we won't make rent this month and we've agreed that's a priority.

I'm researching credit-consolidation/settlement companies that are listed ss recommended by the BBB and will likely start in with one of them in the new year. I'm hoping that takes some of the sting away.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know it's really funny. People who preach about not using credit, etc. I mean my mum was on the train to Alberta and this German couple were going on about how they never use credit, etc. and how people who do are so irresponsible.

You may not use a credit card, but having a mortgage is still debt :) Also, they pulled out their credit card to pay for their bottle of wine after LOLLLL.

Due to the nature of my dads work, we live off credit between paychecks. It's not ideal, but it's life. They get paid off, it's the mortgage that if paid off we would be in a good position.

We should have it paid down in 5 years :D woot!

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's pretty bad right now over here..
My husband and I are living with his family right now.. we weren't able to find jobs when we came, so we help out around the house and his sister's baby, so we're not a burden. His stepfather is the only one with a job in the house right now.
I'm really glad I'm still young because I'm probably less than $5000 in debt right now with 2 credit cards and a cell phone bill that was so astronomical that I suspended it..
My husband is probably the same.. I own my car, but needs insurance, an oil change, and new brakes so I can't drive around much..
I'm hoping this changes soon.. or else I'm going to have to borrow money from my parents or a friend to go back to El Paso or join them in California to get a job which is actually a blessing, and I should take it while the offer stands.
Sometimes I feel really hopeless...but it could be worse.. I'm still able to get on the internet and they have cable, and we help out.
The only thing is that we left some stuff at our former room mate's apartment with the intention of going back and getting it and we got stuck.. and we're not sure when his lease ends so... yeah we need to go get it.. I need to look up moving truck prices!
>^.^<