Anyone ever build a methane digester?

Ed Nigma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MVchickens said:
Hi there. Im new here but have some experience and knowledge with methane digesters. Turns out it is not feasible to build a small scale digester, I built and studied everything from table-top models to larger models. I am still working on some projects but that will come later on as I go onto college to study chemical engineering.
Hello MV, and welcome

I have to ask, can you clarify why you do not consider building a small scale digester feasible? What criteria did you use to evaluate your systems?

I do not ask to call your statement false, but, since there is no question these devices work I am curious why the question about feasibility? I imagine its a matter of scale, but, I would really like to know what you found.

MVchickens

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It was not feasible because the small digesters could not produce enough methane gas. I measured using a verneir system provided by the school. I broke down the gas that was actually being produced and measured parts per million of each gas (CO2,CH4,NH3,ETC...). It is truly a matter of scale because you cannot get a set amount, lets say 5 pounds of waste, to make enough gas to power anything useful.

This year I am enrolled in a Advanced Placement Chemistry class and I plan on going into the molecular level of Biogas to study further. I will keep you updated as studies go on.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MVchickens said:
Hi there. Im new here but have some experience and knowledge with methane digesters. Turns out it is not feasible to build a small scale digester, I built and studied everything from table-top models to larger models. I am still working on some projects but that will come later on as I go onto college to study chemical engineering.
I'm sad to hear this. How much poop are we talking about, minimum?

Ed Nigma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MVchickens said:
It was not feasible because the small digesters could not produce enough methane gas. I measured using a verneir system provided by the school. I broke down the gas that was actually being produced and measured parts per million of each gas (CO2,CH4,NH3,ETC...). It is truly a matter of scale because you cannot get a set amount, lets say 5 pounds of waste, to make enough gas to power anything useful.

This year I am enrolled in a Advanced Placement Chemistry class and I plan on going into the molecular level of Biogas to study further. I will keep you updated as studies go on.
Yes, that is what I had thought, scale. It would not make any sense to go to the expanse of building a system capable of producing enough methane to supply all your needs if your system out strips you supply of material for the digester.

But, keep in mind that if you are trying to be self sufficient in your energy use you can not use the same game plan as the big boys, the electric and oil company's, large scale production on one or two sources. You must use every source. I use solar, both thermal and electric. Also wind, or I will be using wind as soon as I replace the blown generator. Also how that my well is no longer a safe source of drinking water, I'll be tapping into geothermal energy. I have also used a digester and a hydrogen generator, both set on the back burner for how.

I wish you all the success in your studies.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am late on this post but any updated on methane digesting?

also the hydrogen idea that was discussed I am curious if you made that work? Hydrogen is very dangerous if it is not 100% pure.... explosive in fact so be careful.

Latest posts