Anyone ever used stuff from this site?

momofthree

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I really liked that SurvivalGearSource.com site, thanks so much for the link.
I was on there for about 45 minutes before I realized how much time had passed. There were a lot of really great articles and information. Being a mom I worry about being able to provide for my kids in a disaster, so after reading and studying the check list I bought a bunch of survival kits for the car and our home. I'll post again to review my kits after they arrive, just in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again for providing these forums!!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IDK much about emergancies but when would we need to use the KI tablets?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is exactly why I try to have a well stocked emergency kit for the family, you just never know. We have lived in earthquake country, tornado alley, and who knows what the future holds. Your review will be nice, thanks! and :welcome

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dntd said:
IDK much about emergancies but when would we need to use the KI tablets?
My understanding is that is an anti-radiation pill used in nuclear emergencies and exposure.

momofthree

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the Welcome!!
In response to Dntd's post, I copied this info from the survivalgearsource site I mentioned earlier. This is just a small part, there is much more info there on dosing.

In the event of accidental release (or nuclear explosion, terrorist nuclear weapon) of radioactive iodine into the atmosphere, potassium iodide (KI) is recommended for use as an aid to other emergency measures . When used correctly, potassium iodide can prevent or reduce the amount of radioactive iodine taken up by the thyroid gland. The government stockpiles potassium iodide for emergency uses, such as in the event of an unexpected release of radioactive iodide.

Potassium iodide (KI) is stockpiled as tablets because tablets are easier to store; however, infants and small children cannot swallow tablets. In an emergency such as an unexpected release of radioactive iodine, the potassium iodide tablets may need to be given to infants and children by their parents or caregivers.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How long do they last and is it something we all should have?
I don't live near a nuclear plant but I do live close to the niagara falls( a target I would assume)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
As others have stated so well, KI tablets are for use in a nuclear situation. We have prevailing winds that could put us in the path of radiation from a nuclear power plant. Although the chances for accidents are small, the KI tablets can be an inexpensive first defense, and well worth the price if you feel that you could possibly be affected by radiation exposure (accidental or not).

ETA, The shelf life of the 130 mg tablets is seven years and the shelf life of The 65 mg tablets is six years. I have no idea why the difference.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
momofthree said:
I really liked that SurvivalGearSource.com site, thanks so much for the link.
I was on there for about 45 minutes before I realized how much time had passed. There were a lot of really great articles and information. Being a mom I worry about being able to provide for my kids in a disaster, so after reading and studying the check list I bought a bunch of survival kits for the car and our home. I'll post again to review my kits after they arrive, just in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again for providing these forums!!
I do the same thing, and I have had that link for a long time. I have just never brought myself to make purchases. I live in the FLorida panhandle where we have hurricanes (Erin, Opal, IVAN, Dennis,e tc) and now this stupid stinking oil spill ..... so I look a little more closely at survival stuff