Anyone from Northeastern Ohio?

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any members in my neck of the woods. Have a great day!

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Huh. Northeastern Ohio must be filled with people who are not inclined toward self-sufficiency. Oh well. It's time to start a trend!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Or, they just haven't found us yet.

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Or we have been busy. :)

I do live in NE Ohio....

Being busy definitely falls under the "Acceptable Response" category!

Hello, FarmerJamie! It is nice to meet a fellow Buckeye over here. I will gladly read up on your posts since I know we live in the same climate. Do you also have the heavy clay soil that can be such a tribulation with which to deal?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hello, FarmerJamie! It is nice to meet a fellow Buckeye over here. I will gladly read up on your posts since I know we live in the same climate. Do you also have the heavy clay soil that can be such a tribulation with which to deal?
I never lived in Ohio, but I've lived in San Jose, California which has nasty, sticky adobe about 1 foot down. The only ways I ever found to deal with the stuff was tons of composted animal litter of all types, and raised beds. I lucked out-- DH's parents had been dumping the animal litter from all their projects (including the 500+ guinea pigs his mom worked with) for something like 35 years when we took over the farm; I've dug 4 feet down and never found any adobe in that spot, even though it was everywhere else.

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I never lived in Ohio, but I've lived in San Jose, California which has nasty, sticky adobe about 1 foot down. The only ways I ever found to deal with the stuff was tons of composted animal litter of all types, and raised beds. I lucked out-- DH's parents had been dumping the animal litter from all their projects (including the 500+ guinea pigs his mom worked with) for something like 35 years when we took over the farm; I've dug 4 feet down and never found any adobe in that spot, even though it was everywhere else.

Note to self: 500+ guinea pigs' litter will lead to awesome soil for future daughter-in-law. Buy guinea pigs now!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Nope, I live on the east coast.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hello @Ewe Mama . In full disclosure, I am not currently gardening and such, but I have done it most of my adult life.
The weather has been so up and down this year, it would be driving me nuts. LOL
We are the "fortunate" that get to experience "lake effect" snow. :D

With our soil, in general, you have two choices: amend, amend, amend and till solution, or use the Back To Eden mulching-type solution. I have done both. Drainage is always my first concern. amended in the better drained sections, BTE and/or raised beds in wetter sections.

Compost, chicken waste, grass clippings, leaves, all went into the amended garden eventually. Time, time, time. :D