Anyone have any home remedies for migraines?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A lack of omega 3's can effect migraines. Is your diet too high in omega 6's?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
English, english please Wifezilla!!! I'm following this thread very closely as my own migraines which I've had infrequently throughout my life have worsened as I hit the mid-point of menopause. The ONLY thing that helps is to take a Vicodin when I start seeing auras but I too have young children to care for so that's not a solution.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
A lack of omega 3's can effect migraines. Is your diet too high in omega 6's?
I don't know what omega 6's are from, but I have a good intake of omega 3 fatty acids... eat plenty of veggies.

I should add, I had a mini stroke last October and have since been on higher doses of blood pressure meds and those haven't helped either.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So was your stoke caused by a blood clot or a bleed, if I may ask?
are you on a blood thinner?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sorry for the geek out. I am steeped in this stuff and forget most other people have actual lives :gig

Omega 6's come from plant based oils. Most American diets are way too high in omega 6 fatty acids and too low in omega 3's.

This is a good article explaining the difference
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400149/balancing-omega-3-and-omega-6.html

One more article...a little nerdier :D
"Too Much Omega-6
Problems associated with an excess of polyunsaturates are exacerbated by the fact that most polyunsaturates in commercial vegetable oils are in the form of double unsaturated omega-6 linoleic acid, with very little of vital triple unsaturated omega-3 linolenic acid. Recent research has revealed that too much omega-6 in the diet creates an imbalance that can interfere with production of important prostaglandins.34 This disruption can result in increased tendency to form blood clots, inflammation, high blood pressure, irritation of the digestive tract, depressed immune function, sterility, cell proliferation, cancer and weight gain.35"
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html#poly

My other "go to" advice for health in general is to make sure your vitamin D levels are high enough. I just did a quick search to see if there was a migraine/D connection. Sure enough....

"July 7, 2008 (Boston, Massachusetts) - New research showing that vitamin D deficiency is common in patients with chronic migraine suggests that this patient group, like other vitamin D-deficient populations, is at increased risk for cardiovascular disease, malignancy, and other serious illnesses that have been linked to low levels of this "good-health" vitamin.

Investigators presented the results of an observational study here at the 50th Annual Meeting of the American Headache Society, which showed that 41.8% of patients with chronic migraine were deficient in 25-hydroxyvitamin D. The study also showed that the longer individuals had chronic migraine, the more likely they were to be vitamin D deficient.

"As far as I am aware, no one has looked at vitamin D deficiency in migraineurs before. Recognizing that vitamin D deficiency is epidemic in the general population, we know that patients with migraine have other health concerns, among them an increased risk for cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, and fibromyalgia, conditions that have also been linked to vitamin D deficiency.

"So in this population, where we know there's a good chance other health issues are present, treating vitamin D deficiency is something that we can easily assess and treat to try to minimize some of these other health issues," study investigator Steve Wheeler, MD, from the Ryan Wheeler Headache Treatment Center, in Miami, Florida, told Medscape Neurology & Neurosurgery."

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
So was your stoke caused by a blood clot or a bleed, if I may ask?
are you on a blood thinner?
super high blood presser and an onset of anxiety?! Never had an anxiety attack in my life but that's what they said. I was on blood thinners for close to a week, and then regular blood pressure meds, of course have to eat healthier, get more exercise etc.

At the hospital when it was happening they used one of those pneumatic guns and I got 3 injections right in the stomach. OWWWWWWWWW! I was bruised for a couple of weeks!

I've read that blood pressure meds can help out with migraines, but it hasn't helped really. Thats why I figure I'd mention it.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Here is a detailed version from a massage therapist:

That spot in the web of the thumb is an acupuncture/acupressure point that is also effective for diarhea and constipation. It is NOT for women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, if the body is considering expelling the fetus, this point will encourage that more strongly.

The point is actually not in the web but on the bone (metacarpal) that is in the hand between the index finger and the wrist. It is about halfway along the edge of the bone, and you will feel a small divot in the bone that will be slightly tender. While the point is out of balance, it may not be a depression but may be raised, and will be very tender. For maximum results, press the point and hold it, the direction of the pressure should be towards the opposite side of the wrist.

Learned this from an acupuncturist that I was an assistant teacher for while he was teaching a group of massage therapy students.

If you have a spouse who can gently rub your face and head thoroughly, too, there are many valuable points there, too. Just be thorough and gentle but firm and he/she will get all the points. Move the scalp and such and even pulling fistfuls of hair gently helps some people quite a bit.

Neck and shoulders, too, of course.

FD, what parts of the plants are used, especially sweet violet...are those just common violets? And what is balm? I have lemon balm....
Not to cause an arguement here, but I think you got that backwards. The web of the thumb and forefinger is for headaches etc...the points you are refering to along the bone are uterine points. Uterine points can also be found along the bottom of the ankle on the inside of the leg. My father and are reflexologists.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, hmmm.....I don't know reflexology, and I learned that from an acupuncturist, taught in an acupressure class. The text books supported the information. So it is a different focus. That point IS for headaches, hemorhoids, and diarrhea/constipation. It will also cause a strong downward energy that will also effect the uterus. It is only a danger to pregnant woman if the body is already wanting to reject the fetus, however, but since we really don't know at any given point in time if that is the case, it is contraindicated in pregnancy until it is safe to deliver naturally, then it is indicated.

It is a very powerful point. All I know about reflexology, I admit, is from looking at a chart that I bought for my office wall! So I bow to your wisdom, and also stick by mine..... ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Soy blocks many nutrients from being absorbed and assimilated by the body. Vitamin D is one, protein is another. Ironically, soy is often added to foods to boost the protein grams on the label. Soy is in many, many processed foods nowadays, and many people think they are doing themselves some good by drinking soy milk and eating tofu. No wonder there is a D deficiency in epidemic proportions.

Boy, am I glad I don't have to eat tofu!! :sick

The best source of Omega III's is fish oil. Many brands are pure and heavy metal free. Read the label, however. I've seen them with soy as a filler! You want at least 1000 mg of combined DHA and EPA, forget the number of grams of Omega III's. Quality differs. Costco and such cheap brands tend to be very low in DHA and EPA, and you would have to take handfuls to get enough.

You also need to take the fish oils WITH a meal containing saturated fat in order for your body to utilize the goodness of the fish oil. Cereal with skim milk is not gonna do it. Think animal fat, like butter, egg yolks, meat. Taking it this way will also prevent you from burping fish all day or getting nauseous when taking the capsules (everyone reports this to me, anyways, the ones who had trouble were fine after following this simple instruction.)

Hope this helps.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ahhhhhhhhh I have always eaten lots of soy foods. Maybe this is the "MSG" that I've been trying to avoid :weee

Ok, so I boost my omega 3's and more vitamin D? If this works I am either going to propose to someone, or be in eternal gratitude! I get about 1 major one a week for the last 14 years.