anyone have Bison

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking of having a small herd of bison if we are able to get the land we want. Anyone have any experience with them? The meat is so much healthier than beef.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know much, but I've been told that there isn't a fence made that can keep bison contained...:hide

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
funny you should mention that Britesea, i was headed over to east Oklahoma this morning and traffic was blocked on the little two lane highway by a small herd (11 in all) of buffalo running heck bent for leather down the road with people trying to stop and catch them. they got them turned down a dead end dirt road and who knows where they went from there. @elwood you might want to research different breeds of cattle for a healthier meat or check the stats on meat goats. goat meat is much better for you then beef is but the steaks are pretty tiny, lol

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well when we lived in Idaho we ate a lot of bison as it is healthier than beef and my wife has heart disease. I have been doing a lot of research and you do need strong fence. I built a fence once that would stop a truck but don't want that expense. It was built out of the pipe they pump oil through. the gate we made weighed over a thousand pounds lol.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the site of them running down the road was surreal. the Choctaw nation over across the way from me keeps a herd of buffalo and their fence would probably stop a bull elephant but i would hate to pay for building it. seriously, check into different breeds of cattle that are healthier for you than your average beefer is. check out dexters. and goat meat really is so much better for you then beef. i have mine either ground, chopped up for stew meat and the back strap. sometimes i miss not having the big roast or steaks but mostly for everyday the 'goat'burger is great and the stew or soup is good too. and meat goats aren't hard to take care of

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There used to be a herd of them on my way to the farm, but they're not there any longer. And I never noticed that they had a problem w/the fencing.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
from what I have read that if they have grass and water then they don't try to get out... Cattle from my experience walk the fence looking for a way out no matter what they already have lol.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
No experience with Bison whatsoever, but I noticed you are after healthier meat. What about ostrich? They are as thick as mud, but easy to keep and their skins (leather) and feathers can earn you a tidy sum on the side.

(Scroll down for comparison) http://www.gourmetostrich.com/nutrition.html

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Emus or Rheas. They are a little smaller than ostrich- easier to handle. Emu eggs are interesting- they start out a gorgeous teal color and gradually turn black and rough.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I went past some baby emus today. I wished I had had my camera w/me. I'll have to take it another day, and see if I can get some pics.