Anyone here into Dave Ramsey

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all. I've become very enthusiastic about Dave Ramsey. I don't have any consumer debt, but I'm spending the next year/year and a half paying down the remaining $40,000 on my mortgage. When that's done I'll be totally debt free!

I'm not following his plan religiously, but just generally cutting out luxuries, not using my credit card for most routine purchases, and really focusing in on putting and extra $2000 monthly on my house. I don't want to have any debt ever again.

liz stevens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes Dave is great, we got to know him and his message before he became a nation wide celebrity. Learned a lot from him and his experience. The best financial management plan needs to include personal investment in your, and your spouse's health. No matter how much money or debt free you are, a major medical occurrence can really turn things upside down. Just overcoming that scare and potential reality myself. Even with insurance the co-pay and out of pocket hits the savings plan hard. So eat, and live a long healthy life style.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought my husband the kit for Christmas, he has not lifted it off his nightstand yet :barnie
I have read one of his books and enjoy his no nonsense easy to follow guidelines.
Have you read Rich Dad, Poor Dad, I really enjoyed that book also.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MountainMom said:
Hi all. I've become very enthusiastic about Dave Ramsey. I don't have any consumer debt, but I'm spending the next year/year and a half paying down the remaining $40,000 on my mortgage. When that's done I'll be totally debt free!

I'm not following his plan religiously, but just generally cutting out luxuries, not using my credit card for most routine purchases, and really focusing in on putting and extra $2000 monthly on my house. I don't want to have any debt ever again.
I am not a huge fan, I hold 2 houses and my car debt free, but I do carry and use my credit card for most purchases, It leaves a paper trail better than my check book now that I don't get most of my checks back because so many checks are converted electronically. I won't accept a debit card or a so called check card. A credit card gives much better protection without a PIN number to worry about. I can get on line and transfer money to my low limit credit card and hit a ATM when it has to be cash (paying people to help me off the books) I have no idea what the interest rate is on the cards, I always pay the credit cards during the grace period so there is no interest charges.
I am a frail old man so I try to just have enough cash on me so when I am mugged the mugger isn't mad enough to beat the Soap out of me, just take the cash and run. I am going to stay down and gather strength for dealing with the police. we both will pretend that they will catch somebody while we both know they won't hardly try.~gd

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
~gd said:
I am a frail old man so I try to just have enough cash on me so when I am mugged the mugger isn't mad enough to beat the Soap out of me, just take the cash and run. I am going to stay down and gather strength for dealing with the police. we both will pretend that they will catch somebody while we both know they won't hardly try.~gd
they do recommend that. carrying enough cash that the muggers get something and don't hurt you. they also recommend females carry condoms with them so that when you get raped, you can demand protection.

we live in such a world.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
liz stevens said:
Yes Dave is great, we got to know him and his message before he became a nation wide celebrity. Learned a lot from him and his experience. The best financial management plan needs to include personal investment in your, and your spouse's health. No matter how much money or debt free you are, a major medical occurrence can really turn things upside down. Just overcoming that scare and potential reality myself. Even with insurance the co-pay and out of pocket hits the savings plan hard. So eat, and live a long healthy life style.
Yes I am trying to figure what the changes are going to mean to my health care. Slaved for years under assurance that I had a great health plan. Now who knows? I think my great plan will be taxed and cut to death so we can give free coverage to people that never held a job. With a little luck I can get a pill to help me out fast rather than wait my turn in line while they help the poor sick 40 year old so they can get another 30 years of non-work out of him. Sorry I am getting into politics now and I know that is a no no....~gd

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The psychology behind avoiding the credit card is that using cash only makes one hesitate before making a rash purchase. Using cash restrains consumer impulsiveness.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MountainMom said:
The psychology behind avoiding the credit card is that using cash only makes one hesitate before making a rash purchase. Using cash restrains consumer impulsiveness.
I know, but I have been "tight" all my life so I am not likely to change. And reviewing the paper trail shows me where I slipped so I can avoid it in the future. Unless you save all your receits and build your own paper trail (and even I am not that anal) you don't really know where the cash went by the end of the month, all you know is that it is gone.
I got a great deal on my last new car, about $2000 less than the best quote for cash. Why? the dealer signed me up for a finance plan for 5 years of "easy payments" that would have added about $10K worth of interest over that time. Took the unsigned papers to my lawyer to be sure there was no anti-prepayment clause hidden away some where. went back and signed the papers and was given a payment book with 60 coupons of easy payments along with the car keys. Went home and mailed in the 1st coupon along with the full price and a demand for the title within 30 days or they would hear from my lawyer. Used the coupons as reminder to repay the car account that had taken a hit when I paid. Heard later that the dealer had gotten his cut on the deal but the finance co was mad at the dealer. Too bad, so sad, ~gd

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Personally I don't think credit cards are bad in and of themselves. Sorta like guns. You don't want somebody handling them carelessly. But in the right hands, they can be a useful financial tool.

If you have been undisciplined with cards in the past, sometimes it is easier to do everything with cash to retrain yourself.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have been really wanting to go farward with Dave's plan for quite some time now. I'm sure most of you are aware of my hubby and his spending habits. I have mentioned financial peace university to hubby, and he hasnt said no, but he's not too enthused.

Our church is offering FPU this fall, but with hubby's work schedule and lack of enthusiasm, I think we will forego it. However, a lady in my wednesday night bible study has the CDs and since we were talking about it last wednesday, she offered to lend them to us.

So, I will get hubby to listen to them, and I only pray that he will get on board.