Anyone here into Dave Ramsey

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My husband refused to use the envelope system. He uses a coffee can system! :gig

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Personally I don't think credit cards are bad in and of themselves. Sorta like guns. You don't want somebody handling them carelessly. But in the right hands, they can be a useful financial tool.

If you have been undisciplined with cards in the past, sometimes it is easier to do everything with cash to retrain yourself.
Would you beleive me that Credit cards are REQUIRED for certain tranactions? Try to rent a car without one!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Yes, I worked at an agency for quite awhile. As an 18 year old, I could drive the hummer but you couldn't rent one until you were 25!

Perhaps a better analogy would be alcohol. It's fine if you enjoy it responsibly. It's bad if it controls you. Depends on where you are in life and perhaps not everyone is as able to handle credit cards as you do. I say kudos to those such as yourself for being able to use them to your advantage. I also say kudos to those who know their weaknesses and choose not to use them to regain control of their financial lives.

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree that credit cards can be useful. I haven't thrown mine away, but I'm no longer using it for just every purchase, which I was doing previously. However, for instance, I stopped at Fred Meyers on the way back from work. We don't have one up here, it's 1/2 hr away. They had a sale on half flats of blueberries, $7.80 a piece. I happened to have my check book, but if I hadn't I would have used my card. I bought 18 half flats, most of which are in my freezer now. Bumper crop this year.

I'm not a purist by any means. Some people need to be because of their temperaments. But I've been fairly responsible with money. I actually own 3 other rental houses free and clear and am just trying to pay of the mortgage on my very modest home, and be totally debt free. Until that is done, our family will be tightening its belt.

Dave has a helpful website http://www.daveramsey.com/

I first heard him on the radio, then saw his book, which is very helpful. I like his philosophy.
0978078526327_150X150.jpg

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As someone who recently recovered from over $40k in credit card debt alone, I avoid credit cards. As an employee of a major financial institution, I see the many benefits of using a credit card account responsibly. I know I can't do it - too impulsive - so my cards are in a ziplock bag, in a coffee can of water, in my freezer. Want to buy something? wait for the ice to melt and see if it is still so important.

Love Dave Ramsey.... I'd still be in a 20yr old single wide trailer with sagging floors, hanging ceilings, no heat, no AC, no stove without his ideas.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
My husband refused to use the envelope system. He uses a coffee can system! :gig
We use the Jack Daniels bottles :lol:

You can use a ATM in place of a CC for required things, theres no way I will ever have good enough credit for a CC, so I use a ATM.

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dave talks about the old fashioned concept of saving up for things. When I pay off my house, I'm going to save for a much better boat. That's my goal. Meanwhile, I'd better get going, I want to try out my new lure on the lake.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hubby had been dumping his change in to one of the coffee cans for home improvement projects. This last weekend he cashed it out and there was enough money in there to redo the bedroom floor! I think it was around $200 total. We got some materials free, some he got off craigslist, and some was on sale at Lowes. Now the horrible nasty carpet is GONE!!

:celebrate

He used laminate and it turned out great. I can't wait for the next project :D

I have my own change dump container spent the $50 I had in their to buy the ducks a stock tank to use for a pond. I am starting to fill it again. My next purchase will be materials for a bathroom remodel. Once the container starts to look full I will cash it in and go to the restore :D

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I paid for all my new chicks in change lol! And their food, up until last wednesday, they call me the change girl at the feed store. I enjoy it, I am not sad to see my dimes go like with cash!

The reason we had to dip into cash was because 10# of food + waterer and feeder was $22, and we were down to nickels and pennies.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I listened to his book on CD and I really want to do what he recommends, but hubby isn't as on board. :rolleyes: Why are they always reluctant? :p