Anyone know what can help high blood pressure?

S

sunsaver

Lower sodium intake, stay hydrated, eat more fruit, take L-arginine, an amino acid that helps expand blood vessels and lower blood pressure.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Actually, most physicians agree that a diet low in sodium is not going to help blood pressure in the long run~unless you are eating salted pork with every meal~ but normal levels of sodium found in most diets won't affect your blood pressure and eating foods without salt or salt substitute have little to no effect on BP.

They don't even have low sodium diets in nursing homes any longer due to this fact and this is also why you won't see the big ads for foods that are low in sodium like you once did back in the 80s and 90s. They have since discovered that sodium is more important to cardiac function than it is detrimental to vascular hypertension.

Eduard9

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
AmericanHomesteader said:
I have high blood pressure and take meds for it, does anyone know of something natural that would help it? I hate taking medicine :(
hi AmericanHomesteader, i am sharing that tips which help you without any medicine.
Non-pharmacologic therapy for high blood pressure is significant in the management of high blood pressure. In most cases, drugs are not necessary and lifestyle changes, followed religiously, can be adequate to bring the blood pressure to target levels. In others, medicines may be required, but the dose of the medicines required will be much less with better blood pressure control, when combined with rigorous lifestyle measures.

Weight reduction: if you are overweight then you must lose weight. Calculate your BMI and also measure your waist.
Diet plan - Restrict your calories as soon as the pointer goes there, calculate the calories which you need to consume each day so that you take only as many calories are required. Include a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables , include nuts in your diet and switch from refined grain foods to whole grains and whole pulses and the diet should be low on saturated fats and total fats. You can achieve 8-14 mm of Hg reduction in blood pressure through this diet.
Restrict salty foods. Your total salt intake in a day should not exceed 5 grams (approx 1 teaspoon). Don't put extra salt in the salad & foods on the table.
Regularly exercise for a minimum of half an hour every day.
Avoid or minimize alcohol.
Relax through yoga, dance, meditation etc.
Give up tobacco and smoking.

Dirty Harry

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you are drinking anything with caffine quit and drink lots of water. That alone is good for 15 to 20 points. Of course if you smoke, stop. Reducing salt is any imediate help but only short term. There are foods that help and foods that hurt. I try to stay away from breads, pasta and processed foods in general. Of course exercise and weight control are essential. Relaxation exercises help also.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH's blood pressure dropped 20-30 points when he started using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea.

Rebec7

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello group...I have a problem with High Blood Pressure... I add Curry powder to my cooking and it seems to help... you might try it and see if it works for you also...Have a nice day.. Rebec7

Latest posts