Anyone struggling to eat out or from grocery stores? any clean eaters?

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok background. Struggled with gall bladder but corrected with diet. a couple years later it starts acting up again even though I had not changed diet. I was still eating better, avoiding some foods ect. Then all of a sudden the same familiar pain came back. Not as bad but constant AND it brought with it constant tummy upset and horrid heartburn that meds do nothing to correct. Just great right. Well i start cleaning up my diet even more. No more grocery store meats which seemed to be the culprit. I avoided them and much of the problems stopped. Working toward a clean diet and all seemed to improve for the most part. But I get so busy sometimes I forget to eat or I don't have time to cook. Well after a couple episodes of low blood sugar because I had not eaten in over 24 hours I started making this huge effort to cook. But again things are so busy sometimes, so for the last week I am ashamed to say I have eaten probably 50% out. I feel awful. Heartburn that feels like burning chest pain but pretty positive its heartburn because I can feel and taste the acid, burping, gassy and my tummy is torn to bits. Since eating clean I seem to react worse to some foods than ever before.

I either need to fine tune this clean eating thing or get used to starving because I cannot eat out at all. Some places just cause this. I tried to eat Mcdonalds and within 20 minutes was hurling and so sick I thought I was dying. I even drive by and smell it now and I feel sick. What the heck is going on. Is it me thats messed up or their food?

Edited to add: Just found out the homemade chili I ate the last 2 days ( the days from tummy hell) was made with the grocery store beef that has banned from our house because it makes everyone sick. Its one particular store but my mom refuses to stop shopping there. They ignored the 15 lbs of ground beef from the butcher in their freezer and used the stuff from the store instead. So I still can't eat Mcdonalds but its not all fast foods fault. The answer is cooking more myself and finding quicker ways to eat clean. Oh and not eating anything with beef in it that my parents cook for me. ugggg time to detox my poor tummy

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It has to become a lifestyle change in order for it to get easier with time. You learn to prepare ahead and plan, while also making much more simple menu choices. The foods we eat are very plain and don't have much variety compared to other folks out there but they are satisfying, they taste good and they don't make you feel like crap all the time...and they are cheap and healthy.

We rarely eat out and, when we do, it's somewhere tried and true instead of on the fly or fast food.

We just hardly ever buy meat from the store...maybe once a year, if that. We grow our own chicken, kill deer for our "beef" and don't eat anything processed, don't eat dairy, etc. Fresh salads, fresh made breads from home ground wheat, home canned foods, fresh eggs from the coop, plenty of vinegar, garlic and spices to season the food.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I already told everyone I am taking some time out of the mad scramble tomorrow to cook up not just our daily meals but some extras. I am pretty miserable tonight but I am pretty sure its that grocery store meat again. I cannot eat it at all, everyone knows I cannot eat it. Everyone else has been getting sick just not as badly over the stuff. Its the same store every time. Why they would make it and give some to the one person who has such severe reactions I do not know. ( I get all my meat now either from our own farm or from a local butcher where I can actually see where everything is being done and know what is going in and on the food the sell me. Knowing my parents they probably forgot to use the stuff I bought and by habit grabbed those last 3 packaged of ground beef from the grocery. I got down some ACV in apple juice which helped a lot. Tummy is visably puffed up though and its not happy.

I am trying to make the clean eating a lifestyle, its just not the smoothest of transitions. We are going from junk food junkies literally to slowly but surely moving toward clean eating. It been a very slow eating evolution for us. Even not perfect my tummy and everyones is so much better but I let getting over busy derail us a bit. Well my tummy just reminded me of my path and I am hopping back on. Wow I feel horrid. Food should not do this.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hubby gets a lot of the same problems from some foods he eats, but I can't get him to change his eating habits. I've gotten to where I basically just cook for me cuz he's decided he doesn't want what I make. And, I try to make extra and freeze the rest. That way, if I'm rushing around, I can just take something out of the freezer and reheat it.

I'd love to get completely away from buying food, but right now, I can't. I have noticed some some things I can no longer eat-like canned soup. They taste horrible to me now.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As someone who tried to get by with gull bladder issues and to self heal ...... until it EXPLODED.... I can say that since I did some research. There really is no "repair" all you can do is try not to pollute it so much and you can buy some time. Sounds like you bought all you can. Go ahead and get it out! You will feel so much better! Actually, it's not so much the gull bladder, as it is the liver and what it lets go, that pollutes the gull bladder. the gull bladder just helps regulate the bile released, but it can become stressed and not work right. It can also fill with grit and even stones, like the kidneys. This will also wear out the gull bladder. That's what I had, they found about 1/2 a teaspoon of grit in mine (that they could find). Amazingly, if you have it out, the body will start to "make" another, not a "bag" like the original, but a good substitute. Unfortunately, even a good diet still has things our bodies don't process and things that just don't agree with us. All in all, I say don't fight it....just get it out and be done with it. I understand if you don't have insurance, but there is going to be just so much time before you wind up in the emergency room.

Sorry, but, there is just so much you can do once it starts to go. I'm an herbalist and I couldn't save mine.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am pretty attached to my gallbladder lol. My doctor is open and encouraging to what I am doing because it has worked so far. They checked my gallbladder just a couple weeks ago when I was getting checkout. Consistantly since changing my diet my gallbladder has looked good. Its not a gall bladder attack. Its almost like the warning before one comes. When you start feeling off, lots of indigestion, a gassy and puffy, mild pain in the back. I think there is something in that grocery store meat that makes me sick. I can eat the same stuff from the butcher and not have one tiny little twinge but one meal made with meat from there and I am sicker than a dog.

I feel a bit better this morning. Not 100% of course that will probably take a week or more. Not sure what to do other than eat clean and stick with the acv daily. I swear they are trying to kill me through beef.

Edited to add: Look at this article. Now this is not a new concept to me. Problem is before it was only a personal theory I had because I could eat whatever I wanted if it came straight from the butcher but the second I go out to eat or eat meats from the grocery I get sicker than a dog. www.cspinet.org/EatingGreen/pdf/appendix_a.pdf Here is the link to the article.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It's been a long, gradual process, but very little food comes from a grocery store anymore.

Mainly, I get bulk bread from a whole-grain bakery in my hometown for only about $1/loaf, otherwise I bake or we don't eat bread. We raise our own meat. Local pears and apples. Local milk from family farm. Our own eggs. Most of our own vegetables and a lot of our own fruit. Our own ww pastry flour. Local ww bread flour.

Could fat be the gallbladder culprit? Regardless of the source?

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
It's been a long, gradual process, but very little food comes from a grocery store anymore.

Mainly, I get bulk bread from a whole-grain bakery in my hometown for only about $1/loaf, otherwise I bake or we don't eat bread. We raise our own meat. Local pears and apples. Local milk from family farm. Our own eggs. Most of our own vegetables and a lot of our own fruit. Our own ww pastry flour. Local ww bread flour.

Could fat be the gallbladder culprit? Regardless of the source?
Even my doctor doesn't think so. I've had no problems for a while until I ate something my parents made me. They refuse to stop buying grocery store meat even though it gives them some upset. Just not as much as it gives me. Everyone in the house is hitting the tummy meds this morning and all she can do is shrug. She was trying to help though. I am in a wicked busy 2 week period and she was helping with the cooking. The doctor is asking me to get a stool test to see what bacteria is causing the issue because she seriously thinks that is the issue. I'll be ok and i'll go back to eating beef and pork ONLY straight from the butcher for now on. I have 50 lbs in my freezer right now and I already told my mom I am feeding the dogs her little bit of grocery store meat and will go to the butcher for her. I have a friend who is going to get me a deer or two also. The fact is i simply cannot eat too many things from the grocery store any more. It seems the more clean foods I eat the more sensitive I am to the bad stuff. When I eat clean ( and I do eat fats, I do not believe in low fat diets) and whole foods style I have none of these issues.