Anyone struggling to eat out or from grocery stores? any clean eaters?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Many years ago when my mom went to her doctor for gallbladder issues, he told her the most likely candidates for gallbladder removal were women who were "fair, fat and forty" What a nice doctor. :smack Well, when I started having problems, I was way past 40, not fair and not fat. so I guess pretty much anyone can be affected. I know it can be fatal if it gets infected, but you will wish you were dead long before that.
Our nursing instructor added another F word to that list....farty. Fair, fat, forty and farty. :D

Chantilly

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
heatherlynnky said:
I am trying to make the clean eating a lifestyle, its just not the smoothest of transitions. We are going from junk food junkies literally to slowly but surely moving toward clean eating. It been a very slow eating evolution for us. Even not perfect my tummy and everyones is so much better but I let getting over busy derail us a bit. Well my tummy just reminded me of my path and I am hopping back on. Wow I feel horrid. Food should not do this.
What is clean eating? Does it mean avoiding processed foods?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Chantilly :welcome for me clean eating is about avoiding processed, fatty, GMO and non organic foods. I grow and preserve the majority of the food I eat and meats are purchased on the hoof from local 4-H kids. Clean eating will most likely get you different answers from everyone here based on their specific health and dietary needs.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For right now, for me its about processed foods. I am in the baby steps stage. We don't eat out and what i buy from the grocery is the ingredients not the finished product. Like bread. With the ingredients I am trying to use healthier products. Some are organic but some just were not processed as much. So like my flour is unbleached and unbromated. Tiny change that I hope has good effect. I eat no lunch meats or anything like that. The meat I do get is from a local butcher and is not treated with all these chemicals or laden with bacteria like what i was getting from the grocery. At this point I cannot even eat any meat from the store. I have a friend who is similar. Its just proof for me that those meats are not good for us. We also try to grow many of our own veggies and fruits but again we are in the beginning stages. The chickens provide some of our meat and all of our eggs. We have goats and heifers that will eventually lead us to providing our own milk, butter and cheese. We have orchard trees that we treat naturally so we can provide more of our fruits. The garden is forever a work in progress but already it provides many of our veggies. Eventually I would like it to provide all of them. Its just making the choice along the way to eat as natural and clean as possible and to build on that foundation. Right now it really is just slow and steady though. I cannot afford to just go straight to clean eating with everyone in the family and the budget I have so for me its just eating as clean as possible and slowly working on providing clean food for ourselves.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i to...have been working on creating a self supported food stock...although my acre is too small to support livestock other than chickens...i do try as much as possible to know where our food comes from at source....
i am not perfect...and do have sugar an salt cravings....but..we live away from lots...and only have what is in the house...
But......About 8 months ago i ate from fast food mcd's....and boy did i suffer the runs...it felf for sure i had been poisoned :lol::lol:
but i guess that was a forgotten memory as i was in town the other day...and did a hungry run through...at first i was utterlyy appauled at the price...then...all yesterday, i had awful flue...not sure what was in that chicken....but my body says it aint. good...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
cheepo said:
i to...have been working on creating a self supported food stock...although my acre is too small to support livestock other than chickens...i do try as much as possible to know where our food comes from at source....
i am not perfect...and do have sugar an salt cravings....but..we live away from lots...and only have what is in the house...
But......About 8 months ago i ate from fast food mcd's....and boy did i suffer the runs...it felf for sure i had been poisoned :lol::lol:
but i guess that was a forgotten memory as i was in town the other day...and did a hungry run through...at first i was utterlyy appauled at the price...then...all yesterday, i had awful flue...not sure what was in that chicken....but my body says it aint. good...
How about meat rabbits? You can stack those on chickens and not need extra space. You can also grow some of their food in your garden as well.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, so only eat my own chickens, only eating beef and limited pork from the butcher. My stomach was doing great. I can eat whatever and not even a twinge. BUT the butcher had no beef liver and my mom makes liver balls at Christmas. Its a German thing. Anywho, me not thinking at the soup she made using my butcher shop beef but she had put the liver balls in to cook. You can see where this is going. An hour later my stomach is all sorts of upset. Not only that but because everyone has been eating all this cleaner meat everyone else is complaining too. Its not as bad as how my tummy reacts but its not good. So Christmas day and we have 8 people competing for bathrooms and probiotics.

I sorta wonder when these little mishaps happen, would activated charcoal help? Usually when this strikes me its really bad for 24 hours and then I just have to let my tummy heal for a couple days. Just wonder if the charcoal would end the misery sooner. I am already flushing my system a bit with probiotics.

The upside is, the entire family has given up ALL fast food. Much easier on the bank account and our waistlines too. No one can stomach the meat in fast food anymore though. I don't know if I should be worried or not. Its kinda scary that my tummy simply will not tolerate so many things now. I can eat big huge steak from the butcher and I am fine. I eat even a mouthful of grocery store ground beef and I am in such pain.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hear ya on the fast food. I was in a rush the other day and got food from Mccy Ds. I only ate it because I was starving and could tell my blood sugar was getting too low (I get really testy when that happens and KNOW I HAVE to eat then or else). But, the burger tasted salty, the fries tasted funny and so did the chocolate chip cookies.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am going out and getting the activated charcoal. I have never used but I am simply miserable. My doctor of course thinks its all in my head so she had already refused tests for bacteria. I tell you, never complain of anxiety because now through eternity you will be fighting a "its all in your head" mentality. Anywho more than half the family is having tummy issues this morning, so if its all in my head, its in their heads too. Mine is the worst though. My tummy is really leading us on an adventure in eating better I swear.

We are actually considering buying a better cooler and buying meat to take with us when we go visit family this year. Simply so we do not have to deal with tummy upsets. Now is that pathetic or what? The cleaner we eat, the more we cannot tolerate commercial meat. What the heck am I going to do. Man I miss whoppers. Always enjoyed those. Guess I should learn to make my own. sigh

Latest posts