Anyone struggling to eat out or from grocery stores? any clean eaters?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heather, I don't remember, and haven't read again, the whole thread, but have you tried any sort of elimination diet? Other than just eliminating junk food, I mean. I have been eating low carb for the last little while, and have been reading about all the issues that many people have with wheat. I don't seem to have those issues - except that it makes me fat! - though I may find that after having avoided it for months it won't agree with me later. But if you haven't yet tried cutting it out, as well as other possible trouble makers, you might want to give it a thought.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ditto. DH and I have no problem with wheat and any carb we come across, but two of our three kids do. I also didn't read the whole thread... but have your tried kefir to help balance your gut?

Hi Britesea!
Like Britesea, I also make as much as I can at home. Takes a bit of time to get into a routine, but you save gobs of money and have some control over what's in your food. After really checking out Azure, we're eating more organic than I ever thought I'd be able to afford. Buying in bulk makes it about the same price as our local grocery store. We eat more and more vegetarian, but still eat some meat. We didn't feel lousy before, but both of us say we actually have less aches/pains/complaints than we did 6 months ago. Our oldest son eats Paleo and says he feels better than he has in a long time. :hu

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Right now I can eat almost nothing. Bread, cheese, fruit. I ate something at chick fil a and got sicker than a dog and my husband did too ( normally we can eat there). Thought it was just cause we were a bit overly hot that day. Same thing 2 days later with my daughter. She feels better already, i still don't. My tummy is a ton more sensitive than everyone else in the house though. Now I can eat nothing without getting sick.

I do usually drink Kefir but I have stopped because its milk based for now. I may buy some water kefir grains so I can keep getting the benefits without the milk. Lord knows my tummy could use it.

I do have to mention i am going through some hormone issues that are wrecking havoc so that might play into this. Seems I am developing allergies I never had before. sigh

So I guess as of right now I am on an elimination diet. Wheat is no issue for me. I can eat bread all day long and have no issues. I figure i will just eat bread, cheese, banana and apple for the next week and see how that goes. I also upped my probiotics and getting faithful with my ACV. Then I guess I slowly add stuff. I am pretty positive I can no longer have chocolate or milk. Fairly upset about that but maybe its temporary. i will have fresh raw milk in a year so maybe raw milk will be different. Right now though i am starving to death. So stinking hungry.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Britesea said:
It's definitely a mystery. I wonder if your issue with the grocery store meat is that 'meat glue' that seems to be ubiquitous now?
Ok, you got me, what is meat glue?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Heatherlynnky, that sucks. You pore thang. :/ I am sorry you have to go through this. Is there anybody that you could buy raw milk from now instead of having to wait for a year? :hugs

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If kefir doesn't work for you, because of the milk, and you want to get more beneficial bacteria for your gut, you might try fermenting some veggies. There are quick ferments that only take a few days.

I will hunt up some of the recipes I have bookmarked, and post them later.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2652 This is a long thread on fermenting that was running a few years ago here on SS that you might find interesting.

ETA: This site has a brined cucumber pickle recipe, as well as information and links re: fermentation: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/lacto-fermented-kosher-dill-pickles-recipe

This site has lots of information, and links: http://nourishedkitchen.com/ferments-cultured-food/

There are, of course, dozens of such sites on the web.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Pickles would be great. I ordered the water kefir grains too. Tired of tummy issues.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't eat any meat not from the butcher so thats not the cause this time. I think milk is :-( The only other thing I got sick from was chocolate maybe because of the milk in that? and corn. I mean who gets sick from corn but both times I ate it I got sick too. ( this is probably TMI but ummm it looked totally undigested when it exited) So couple days now and I have eaten simply but avoided those 3 things and I am fine. I ended up adding in more fruit and I had some veggies like spinich, squash ect. What a pain in the rear. I think once my girls are producing then I will try milk again but for now thats ok. Maybe I should get some heirloom corn. Maybe what I got was all weird or something. Food should not be the enemy but lately it seems like it is.