Anyone struggling to eat out or from grocery stores? any clean eaters?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
heatherlynnky said:
My brother had his removed and his pain only got worse. I am pretty attached to my body parts. I figure everything has a purpose so I like to try to get everything working right. Honestly the ONLY time I have this is when I try to eat out or buy meat from the regular grocery. I can eat all the meat I want ( like large amounts if I was so inclined) and as long as its fresh from the butcher I am ok. I can eat chicken but I hate to because I know all the bad stuff is in it so I would rather just eat my own birds. Not that it causes any tummy issues but I like to know whats in my food. Beef and Pork I can only have from butcher. Its local meat, processed in their own place, sold in their store and its super fresh.

So I can have what i want as long as I cook it and I have no tummy issues at all. None. Which is fine when we are at home but how do you follow diets like the GAPS diet or paleo diet when you travel? I want to still eat clean but go on a vacation and not cook all the time. Its a quandry. I also want to improve how I am eating all together. i have made baby steps but I would like to clean things up even more. I was even considering fermenting my own food. I don't want my food to be what hinders me. It is supposed to fuel me, not hold me back.
I know how you feel there. Any time we eat at church I have to cook and take an entire meal just for myself and DD. I have soy allergy, she has MSG intolerance. The only thing you can do is precook things to take with you. I went to a Christian women's conference and had to argue a bit to get my food in there. They had nothing I could eat, but the venue wouldn't allow outside food to be brought in, but we were scheduled to be there ALL day! It is very difficult to get folks to cooperate sometimes, and it's a pain to have to take your own food in the first place. BUT....I enjoyed the conference, and so that made it worth it :hu

You can get the sectioned containers and precook/prepack food in those to carry along wherever you want/need to go. I do it all the time. Most places have somewhere to heat things. Homemade pizza pockets are one of my favorite things to take with me. You can put a whole pile of those in a container, and they aren't too bad if there isn't a way to heat them. A lot of times I will buy fresh organic fruits and vegetables wherever I am going, after I get there instead of hauling it all along. When DD went to YEC youth conference for 2 days, I sent calzones and pork chops and veggies with her in containers, and fruit. She ate some of the calzones sitting in Cracker Barrel while her friends had Cracker Barrel and wanted HER food :lol: It is more difficult for her than for me, she, being a teen, wants to do EVERYTHING other teens do, but has these small limitations that seem like such a huge deal to her. Another idea would be to carry a small grill and supplies along with you, it's like camping :D Coolers are always a must anyway :hu

In short, it's mostly in attitude. If you get in your head that you don't mind cooking ahead, packing ahead, and planning each meal "out" then it's really not that big of a deal. It just feels like it sometimes, because everyone else can take the easy way and pull in the drive thru and eat that yucky mush :p But, we all have our burdens to bear I suppose ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So far, I can still eat out. But, I know if my MD were to get worse, I'd probably have to stop eating out. As it is, there are some things I cannot eat. There's one place that has wings that I love. But, I eat them, and everything starts to spin, so it's a no go. :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
What is it in them that makes you sick Deb?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have no idea, I just know that if I eat it, I get dizzy. And, I don't need that. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
do like i do and copycat the recipe :lol:

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think the reality of what I am facing overwhelms at times. Our food is so messed up and trying to fix it for you family is a huge job. More than a little overwhelming at times.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Once you get it down pat though, it gets much easier. I have thrown a wrench in mine lately trying to cut back on my salt and feed everyone else too, and it's like trying to walk the high wire to balance everything out so nobody stays hungry and everyone is satisfied with the meals. Add to that the fact we have been trying to eat out of the freezers instead of buying groceries, and I hate cooking lately :lol:

When you get stuck in a rut like that, I tend to meal plan moreso than usual. Think of every meal the family likes, and even go so far as to grill in the winter just to change it up. I try new recipes during that time as well. There are several recipe sites that you can put in ingredients, and get recipe ideas for those ingredients. I just despise getting in a rut like that though. I get so frustrated I don't want to cook, then EVERYONE gets cranky, and it's all over food, and nothing sounds good...it can get to be a real chore at times.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
heatherlynnky said:
I think the reality of what I am facing overwhelms at times. Our food is so messed up and trying to fix it for you family is a huge job. More than a little overwhelming at times.
I think I've been at it so long now that I forget how much time it takes. We were recently taken to Mexico by my parents, and house staff did the cooking all day. I was SHOCKED at how many hours there were in the day when no food prep/cleanup was involved!

I think simplifying a menu can help tremendously. Two to 3 pots of soup can get a family through a week. Add in some homemade tortillas or cornbread--simple. I used to be very involved in elaborate foodmaking, but these days our food is extremely simple. We enjoy it even more since it's so incredibly good, but simple.

For example, supper might be pork tortillas w/fried veggies, applesauce, and cabbage salad.
This morning's breakfast, DH made fried pork and fried eggs.

Plenty of summertime meals involve toast, fried eggs and whatever the seasonal fruits and vegetables are growing in our garden---salad, berries, etc.

I think if a person tries to duplicate a standard American diet, only healthier, it could be complex. If you rethink the diet entirely, it can be very cheap and easy.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
very sorry to hear of all your pains
certainly can see to make life challenging...

I think i am gonna have to do more looking ahead...
so far have been fine with sit down restraunts only got
sick once from that...
but it it the quick ok grab a bite that gets me...
i don't do it very often, but it seems if i get any overpriced.
whatever...I get the runs...and am put out the next day..

so far tim hortons seems to be ok,though haven't gotten sick from them

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The only thing we can eat outside of what I cook is pork barbecue from the little place in town.