anyone want/need to learn to butcher rabbit?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are planning on butchering tomarow. And was just wondering if anyone would be interested in a step by step on how to butcher a rabbit. If so I will take pics and do a kind of how-to.

Will also post "warning graphic pics" in the headline.

Tractor girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would like to see that, too. I grew up with meat rabbits, but my dad didn't want any of us seeing the butchering. I'm not sure why, but guess he thought he was protecting us. Now that I am an older adult and am thinking about meat rabbits, I have no idea of what to do. A pictorial with a "graphic" headline would be a big help, thanks!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would appreciate this as well. Please share with us.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this would be GREAT...
ive been using one method formine but i love to see other peoples methods too to see if theres a better way of doing it!

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sounds great! I think skinning will be one of the big points of interest. We case skin ours for tanning.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do have the pics. But my laptop is being funky right now. As soon as I get it straitened out I will post them.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That would be cool.
My dad had a meat rabbit project going a few years ago, but I didn't like his method. I don't know where he learned it, but he'd slit a hole in the skin and insert a hose pipe and turn on the water, inflatting the skin....it looked like a rabbit balloon. Then he'd pull off the skin.
Well, he'd have to pull off the skin anyway. All we had was a big water mess. But we did have a lot of good meat to cook. I'll check this out in a day or 2 when you get it going.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
That would be cool.
My dad had a meat rabbit project going a few years ago, but I didn't like his method. I don't know where he learned it, but he'd slit a hole in the skin and insert a hose pipe and turn on the water, inflatting the skin....it looked like a rabbit balloon. Then he'd pull off the skin.
Well, he'd have to pull off the skin anyway. All we had was a big water mess. But we did have a lot of good meat to cook. I'll check this out in a day or 2 when you get it going.
Hmmmm. A few years ago I met a lady at a mountain man/muzzle loader's get together who had a booth of lots of different skins for sale. She tried to explain that method of skinning small animals to a group of us. She said that she skins anywhere from 100 to 500 small animals a year and the garden hose is the only method she uses. She also told us that she uses a high pressure sprayer (like you would use to wash your wood deck) to skin elk, deer, moose, etc. She likes it much better than a knife and it results in higher quality skins.