Anything you can't give up?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly the first thing that comes to mind is "the sump pump" (something to power it, that is). Without it, the basement would be flooded maybe 4' deep year-round, and I expect the foundations or floor joists would soon 'go' and the house would be just a soggy pile o' rubble.

I wonder how much it would cost to set up a little solar-recharging system to run it.

The other thing I would have one heck of a time going without would be sturdy comfy shoes. I do not see me making homemade shoes that allow me to actually do hard work on a regular basis (I do not have the greatest feet to begin with).

Pat

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CHOCOLATE and electrcity.

:D
EDITED: DH is like the trees I guess I take him for granted. ok let me modigy this
1 husband
2 chocolate
3 electricity
:rolleyes:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
The wife and kids. The rest I could work around not having.

I know that's not exactly what the topic was about. It's just the first thing that came to mind.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx what a lovely thing to hear! I'm sure the first thing my husband would say is "internet" :lol:

Aside from food/clothing/shelter, I would not want to do without.... ummm...

Running water and a fan to blow on me while I sleep. You know, I think hubby & I could take turns. If we could devise some kind of pedal contraption to run the fan. I could pedal for 6 hours while I read or shell peas or knit and he sleeps. And he can pedal for six hours while he's on the internet and I sleep.

That sounds totally fair!

I also have been looking hand-pump contraptions to add to your well to have running water in an emergency. They are not cheap! Like a thousand bucks! But it would SO be worth it.

Cassandra

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Reading here about air conditioning, I am so grateful that I live in a place where it is "naturally" air condition- when it gets too hot inland, fog forms on the ocean and cools off the coastline. I admit to hating not seeing the sun for days at a time but I also enjoy not having to pay for AC.
I wonder if people have alternatives to this- when I built my house, I did orient it so that in the summer the overhangs mostly keep tha sun out but in the winter, it is low enough to come in.

I dimmly also remember my father having something called a swamp cooler which seemed to cool by water evaporation.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What can't I give up for self-sufficient lifestyle? Hmmmm. I couldn't give up my glasses, my medication, or my arch supports. I could not make any of those, and even if I were living as close to self-sufficient as possible, I would need to see, need to take my meds, so I could actually work, and would ned my supports so I could actually walk.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
For where we live right now it would be a/c & hot running water.

For our place in the mtns hot running water. I can do without elec if I had to, but I want to get myself & my house & my dishes clean(kids too & I guess hubby too).

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My HUSBAND!! because he does all the hard stuff :lol:

I would say computer and internet, but we were without power the last five days, and I survived just fine ;)

Latest posts